Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Kickstarter Projects--No Longer Posted Here

Re: Kickstarter Projects

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For example whenever I post helpful hints like "...be a man and get an enlarger..." in the DIGITAL section those darn threads keep showing up as "Subscribed Thread" under the quicklink menu whereas the DIGITAL forums are not on my "Subscribed Forum" list.
    I shouldn't even try to help a curmudgeon with such a poor attitude, but try clicking "Thread Tools" near the top while reading a thread, and then click "unsubscribe from thread."
    Then maybe we can have less worthless posts like "get an enlarger" in the digital section.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew Wiley

Re: Kickstarter Projects--No Longer Posted Here

There seem to be so many around here that it's getting to be "cry wolf" and nobody is listening anymore. Just got two more in the mail last nite - one the big UC
    arts center soliciting membership funds, even though it's still just a giant hole in the ground. Some weeks I get about four such postcards or flyers. Some are small
    coops which scrounge up enough money to rent a joint show space for about a month a year. I know some of the people involved, so feel sympathetic, but I doubt
    they ever actually break even. In this day and age there are search engine functions that can invade everyone's alleged privacy and target the specific demographic and zip codes you want to go fishing in. Some of these art schools and coops do largely survive on private contributions, and command some surprisingly nice pieces of real estate, but are largely bellyflops in terms of attracting public attention to their in-house galleries. The new UC facility will unquestionably be an exception to that, but that multimillion-dollar building itself is (ouch!) being taxpayer funded anyway. Doubt I'll join. As a UC grad my wife would probably get a discount anyway. Gov't grand seem more about resumes than anything else. But I shouldn't cry foul, cause that's what supported my aunt
    and many other prominent artists during the Depression years, and led to a lot of things currently on the Natl Historic Register and in our museums. But there's a
    point nowadays where you gotta scratch your head sometimes. Seems like too much of a straightjacket catering to someone else's creative whims. But whatever
    works. Its just hard to get anyone's attention in a big urban area like this one where all kinds of people have similar game plans. Maybe somewhere else, where
    you've got some elbow room.

You guys sure are picky about a free service with no advertising.

However I think we scare a lot of people away...

Well we are so picky and require people to think a little. You know, use that 12 pound melon between your shoulders for more than sucking in air.

I'm fine with what the mods do. I may disagree once in a while in a small way, but their work has made this the most civil, information-filled forum I have ever participated in. I'm not going to micromanage someone who's doing such an excellent job.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Agree

I wonder if there is anyway to self block entire threads, not people, the whole thread
    Tin Can