Thread: Eastman View No.2 Improved Model of Century View and Empire State No. 2

Eastman View No.2 Improved Model of Century View and Empire State No. 2

Hi, I've just recently bought a Eastman 5 X 7 View No.2 Improved Model of Century View and Empire State No. 2 . This is my first view camera in about 20 years and I wasn't proficient with the last one. This camera has a splitter on the back that makes the format 2.5 X 7 rather than 5 X 7. I want to remove it and shoot 5 X 7 but I'm not seeing an easy way to do that. Can anyone offer a suggestion about removing the splitter without breaking it?

Thanks!

James M. Bleifus

James,

I have a splitter on my 5x7 Agfa Ansco. If its anything like the Kodak, heres how it will work: Take the back off the camera, slide the splitter so its in the middle 1/3 rd of the back. There should be a relief milled into the wood near one end of the splitter, gently put a finger on it, of if there isn't a relief, gently grab the splitter by the long edges and pull the splitter into the recessed channel in which it slides. The shorter end opposite the direction you're pulling should free itself from the channel and you can take the thing out. I hope this helps----Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John, Thanks for the reply. I was able to find the relief and a spring at one end of the channel. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

James

James,

John has already answered your question, but I wanted to say congratulations on your new camera. I have the same model and love it for portraiture and landscapes. FWIW - I bought mine back in the late 80's and it's a real workhorse. I had a new bellows made by Western Bellows a while back, that'll keep her going for another 90 years!

BTW - Keep an eye out on ebay for a 4X5 B&J reducing back for their 5X7 cameras, it's a direct fit. There are also sliding split backs for 2-up on 5X7 and sliding backs that provide a groundglass and attachment point for rollfilm holders.

Wow, thanks Bob. I had no idea. Are all those backs from B & J? There doesn't appear to be much information about this camera on the web. Please feel free to share any other suggestions.

Cheers,

James

Yup, all of those backs were from B&J. I must add a minor corrcetion, I had to move the locking pins on the sliding 2-up back for a "perfect" fit, but it wasn't a big deal.