Thread: Where to develop film for 617

Where to develop film for 617

I have been thinking of buying a Linhof 617s iii film camera and just want to get a bit more information about where to develop film.
    I mean a professional film developer that could develop 120 or 220 fuji velvia. I live in Western Australia, and i am quite happy sending the film off to be developed interstate, but not anywhere out of Australia. I don't need them to scan, i could do that myself.
    also do you think that services like this might be becoming to an end, with digital, film development services might close down and stop in the near future. Hahaha this is just what i am thinking. A good quality developer that has the quality of photographers such as Peter Lik, Mark Grey or Ken Duncan's amazing images.
    So if anybody could help me that would be most appreciated thanks.

Re: Where to develop film for 617

Here in the US 120 professional development is still available in major cities. My guess is that E6 will be the first to go (perhaps 5-10 years), followed by C41 but B&W will always be with us at least through home development.

Drew Wiley

I'd guess that Peter Lik's preferred developer is a mix of LSD, ketchup, and kindergarten finger paints, and has far less to do with choice of film than with the
    obscene liberties he takes with Fauxtoshop. But the days of E6 in secondary markets are probably numbered anyway. 220 film is also doomed. 120 color neg film and C41 processing will probably be with us for quite awhile, and I wouldn't worry about that. But your part of the world obviously has some idiosyncrasies in terms of supplies and services.

Lachlan 717

Plent of places on the East coast.

Melbourne:
    *Vanbar
    *Prism
    *Michaels
    *Bond Colour
    *CPL

Also, it's not the developing that makes a quality image. E-6 is a pretty much a standard process at these labs.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thanks everyone, i presumed the quality was not with the development but with the scanning, but i was not certain. I'm glad 120 color neg film and C41 processing will be around for a fair while in the future. Thanks Lachlan 717 that was really helpful.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Niznet View Post
    Thanks everyone, i presumed the quality was not with the development but with the scanning, but i was not certain. I'm glad 120 color neg film and C41 processing will be around for a fair while in the future. Thanks Lachlan 717 that was really helpful.
    Send me an email if you need any more advice!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky