Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas to mate this Linhof head to this Manfrotto 028 tripod?

(Shrek)

Any ideas to mate this Linhof head to this Manfrotto 028 tripod?

Just because I have both, and neither is being used. I don't have the ca$h to buy anything else, but I do have some machining skills. Both have 3/8" male threads. I wouldn't mind opening the Linhof to clean the pan mechanism, but I don't know how. There are no screws or anything under that leatherette.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	103443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	103444

Re: Any ideas to mate this Linhof head to this Manfrotto 028 tripod?

You might find that the 3/8 in the head is just one end of a 1/4, 3/8 reversible thread that came off a linhof tripod instead of staying with the tripod, when they were separated.

I bet the linhof one will unscrew - put a sock or something on the threads and grab it with some channel locks and try to unscrew it

I'm not familiar with that Linhof head, but I see two "gripping" surfaces and wonder if they are one piece or two. If two them maybe they can be separated to see what you've got. FWIW,I used to have a Linhof Leveling Head mounted on a Linhof tripod, and the camera interface on the leveling head looked like your part - the one with the red spiral on it.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    You might find that the 3/8 in the head is just one end of a 1/4, 3/8 reversible thread that came off a linhof tripod instead of staying with the tripod, when they were separated.
    This is what I was hoping, but I'm not sure and I hoped someone could confirm this. I can't easily extract it and I don't want to take vise grips to it, but I'm thinking I can cut a slot in the end for a screwdriver without damaging the threads. Then (with a 3/8" nut in place to keep it from splitting), I can put a lot of torque on it.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    .... and the camera interface on the leveling head looked like your part - the one with the red spiral on it.
    I wasn't sure about that plate with the red spiral, if it was part of the head or the tripod. When assembled to the old Linhof tripod, there is a 3/8" gap between the bottom of that plate and the top of the column, the only part of that plate that touches the tripod proper is the little circle in the middle.

Now I'm confused. You mention the "old Linhof tripod." Did you buy the Linhof tripod used. and did it come with the red spiral plate? Tell you what, maybe you should get some pictures of the parts you're dealing with and contact Bob Salomon for help.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Now I'm confused. You mention the "old Linhof tripod." Did you buy the Linhof tripod used. and did it come with the red spiral plate? Tell you what, maybe you should get some pictures of the parts you're dealing with and contact Bob Salomon for help.
    I removed the head from an older Linhof tripod/head combo. Something like this (completed auction #151131508927). That's a really bad photo in the 'bay link, but it's the only one I could find somewhat like the one I have. I believe it is the model under (smaller than) mine. My tripod is buggered and I don't know if I can get/make the needed parts to fix it, plus I had the Manfrotto 028 lying around without a suitable head.

The plate with the red spiral is usually the top of a ballhead, Do the two other plates screw apart?

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    The plate with the red spiral is usually the top of a ballhead, Do the two other plates screw apart?
    Are you saying the plate with the red spiral does not belong between my Linhof tripod and Linhof head? I always thought the space between the two looked a little strange. The head itself does not have another plate, the bottom of the head is covered with that grey leatherette, under that it's polished aluminum. There does appear to be a very narrow sleeve around the 3/8" stud protruding from the head, something like a 3/8" - 1/4" reducing insert you would put in the tripod socket of a Russian camera.

The top of the Manfrotto column looks just like my smaller Manfrotto tripods, except for what appears to be a retaining nut around the 3/8" stud. I couldn't move it when I tried, I think it was put together with Lock-tite.