Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deardorff Bi-Post assembly instructions needed

Deardorff Bi-Post assembly instructions needed

Next week i take delivery of a working, meaning functional Deardorff Bi-Post studio camera stand.

I know how to set up a monostand, but this thing is a lot bigger and potentially more dangerous.

I need advice on how best to shorten the 13.5' stand to 11.5'. Portable bandsaw? They can be hard to get a straight cut, I have cut 100's of pipe this size with a portable bandsaw, truck exhaust, and always had trouble making a square cut.

Ok, it will be cut, but what is the best erection advice. Seems to be impossible to lay it assembled on it's side, slide in the weight and then stand it up like a monostand.

Is anybody around that still knows how?

Anybody in Chicago?
    Tin Can

Re: Deardorff Bi-Post assembly instructions needed

Maybe you can rent a pipe cutter to cut the posts down ?

I will be looking for one. Not finding one at Home Depot, maybe I take the pipes to a plumber, but those guys are not gentle. The pipe tube is very thin, I think like 1/16"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Maybe you can rent a pipe cutter to cut the posts down ?
    Tin Can

If the pipe is that thin, why not use a hacksaw and a miter box? That will keep the cut square.

Good idea Barry!

I do think I can cut it very square by hand, maybe a DIY miter box with high sides.

When I was doing truck exhaust speed was paramount and we welded up the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    If the pipe is that thin, why not use a hacksaw and a miter box? That will keep the cut square.
    Tin Can

First measure the posts' diameter. I'll bet they are American standard industry parts. It might be easier to find your desired length and reserve the extra long stock ones for the future.

If they are chrome plated, as many are, then it was probably a hydraulic pipe and will be very hard to cut with a hacksaw or pipe cutter.

Try a call to these Romeoville folks. Phone 800-972-0217 They might have some scrap of the right size.

(I rebuilt a huge Saltzman enlarger with parts from a farm and industrial supply shop.)
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 18-Sep-2013 at 12:12.

Yes, that is the beauty of standardized American products, usually common sized material and fasteners.

I won't know diameter until it gets here, maybe Arkay posts are the same size. I could leave my one Arkay post as is, cut the other to match and have 2 set's.

However, I am 62, retired, I own my paid off Artist storefront and have no plans to ever leave this location. Hence any unit mods, and equipment installed is for my lifetime, not the next owner's...

If someone in the future wants a taller Bi-Post he or she can find new pipe.

I am on a low budget, fixed income and live in the last chance hotel.

Happy trail's to you. That's 3 old songs quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    First measure the posts' diameter. I'll bet they are American standard industry parts. It might be easier to find your desired length and reserve the extra long stock ones for the future.

Try a call to these Romeoville folks. Phone 800-972-0217 They might have some scrap of the right size.

(I rebuilt a huge Saltzman enlarger with parts from a farm and industrial supply shop.)
    Tin Can

Randy, regular pipe cutters are just basically your usual wall-scratching thingy made out of hard material. So with wee patience and rotary tool you can just thin/scratch wall out and break off - using carbide bit. Or make one out of carbide bit for dremmel and few pieces of tube clamp or just tube (slightly larger diameter than what yout trying to cut).

joseph

You could try renting something like this, but this one seems quite inexpensive to buy...

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...saw-91938.html

The pipe is a bit larger than the stuff we cut around here, so you might have to rent one.
    If the cut end is messy, just put a pipe cap (non-threaded) over the raw end.