Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [cheaper] Custom flanges?

[cheaper] Custom flanges?

Would anyone like to share their source for flanges? And let me clarify, a reasonably priced source for making flanges? SK Grimes is not an option. I need some less expensive flanges for some "project" lenses I am resurrecting.

Thanks
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Re: [cheaper] Custom flanges?

Hi Dan, I have in my city old metal workshop where I make flanges from everything, metal, wood, plastic, brass and copper. Unfortunatelly brass and copper pieces for work is very expensive

What sizes??

Bob - these would need to be custom made for 19th century lenses...but the diameters range from 30mm to about 70mm....

(Shrek)

I am currently between lathes, as I haven't replaced the machinery I sold when I sold my house and moved everything into storage for a year. But I usually make my own, and usually out of mild steel for cost reasons. They can be painted black or brass if desired, but I could buy a chunk of 4" or 5" dia steel from a scrapyard for $10-15. I've always resold machinery like lathes for about what I paid, so my real cost is quite low.

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    these would need to be custom made for 19th century lenses...but the diameters range from 30mm to about 70mm....
    Could you use a universal lens holder?

Jac, I am looking to unload some lenses, so a universal holder, doesnt do me any good.

I dont care much what the flange is made out of, although brass is always preferred...anyone else?

thanks !
    Dan

I machine, as hobby, various lens adaptors.
    I use Aluminum Alloy for easy machining and low cost, but it is not correct for vintage jobs
    From time to time I purchase a bar stock of 6061 Aluminum Alloy, 2.25 inch dia by 12 inch long. ( ~ $25)
    The issue with machining lens adaptors out of solid is that most of the material ends up as cuttings in the scrap bin.
    I found that 2.25 inch diameter is a good compromise for the various adaptors I make.

I also purchase 360 Brass bar, 1 inch by 12 inch (~ $32) for knurled nuts, bushes, clamp pieces etc.

CC wants up to 70mm . So I checked Amazon /Small parts prices

360 Brass bar 2.75 inch by 12 inch $ 184.91
    It might be possible to purchase a thick walled brass tube stock to save some cost..
    I think those old flanges would have been fabricated out of brass plate, rolled into a tube and soldered, but I could not do that in my workshop.

Like other members have said, custom made flanges out of brass get expensive because of the brass
    the only other option is to check the 'Bay for flanges.

wombat2go, your price estimate is off on the 360 brass, if you include the actual flange where you would have the screw
    holes to fasten to a lens board add about another inch, so what you should be pricing is a 3.5" round bar.

I can better help you with your flange if you have a drawing of the flange you need

Dave