Thread: Omega Bellows Issues

Omega Bellows Issues

Howdy! I've just recieved a new Omega 45E with a 210 xenar 6.1 lens. Take it out of the box and notice both standards are broken! Damaged in shipping, from the looks. Piece of the right side of the risers snapped off. Super glue and patience made for an easy enough fix. Next I checked the bellows. Not so good. I took the camera into the darkroom, pulled the head off of my 4D Maglight with an LED bulb (portable daylight, practically) and slipped it on in. Almost every corner showed light! Pretty frustrated at this point, but I only paid 107 for the camera, and witha clean lens and strong sounding shutter, I'm inclined to keep it. I've been going over hole after hole with liquid electrical tape. It's a lot of sealing though. At least if it's too stiff I figure I don't really need to close the bellows up too much with the 210. My question is about replacing the bellows. The 45E didn't have interchangeable ones. The info I'm finding shows the bellows as being sandwiched, screwed, and glued between two plates on either standard. Does anyone know if another brands replacements can be mounted? The cheapest bellows I can find are all for horseman/sinar. If these don't quite fit, can I sacrifice an inch by cutting away the last bit where their mount is, and cementing and screwing down the next? Anyone else done similar work? I'm pretty handy with DIY but this is a big bite to chew.
    Thanks!

Re: Omega Bellows Issues

Does the shipping box show enough damage that the impact could have imparted energy to the camera?

How well padded was the camera in the box?

Shipping damage is not going to put holes in the bellows, that is wear and tear over time.

I think you bought a used camera. I suspect that the seller knew of these issues yet never disclosed them to you.

On the other hand if it was new you should have filed a claim with the shipping company. You should never have tried to do any repairs because then you can not file a claim.

Re: Omega Bellows Issues

Sorry, my use of "new" was misleading. It was new to me, bought used off of 'that' site. I didn't see damage to the box, but the images of the camera (otherwise identical as far as dust and everything) were clearly not broken. I would rather repair the camera at this point since every single camera I seem to get anymore is in need of repair regardless of anything any seller has told me (no bitterness there.) Obviously the bellows issue was already present but it took me a helluva bright flashlight with the bellows at full extension to find them. So far the LET seems to be okay and hasn't screwed with the folding too much. Still recoating a few spots (a little anal about it.) By the time I'm done I'll have practically relaminated the material, but such is the life of an analog photographer. I am working with the seller to issue a partial refund. I figure for ~60-70 dollars the parts that didn't need fixing (lens, focusing board, etc.) are still a good deal. I've heard good things about that lens, and it is in mighty clean condition.