Thread: Hello from Charleston, SC

Hello from Charleston, SC

Hello, everyone. I am brand new to film (and, of course, LF) photography.

I have been a lawyer for 20 years at large, soul-crushing NY law firms, but have recently had some life events occur that have allowed (forced?) me to scale back my practice. Finding more time on my hands than I know what to do with, I decided to pursue some interests in art and photography that had been my passion in school and early adulthood - I started drawing and painting seriously and obsessively at age 6, but had not picked up a graphite stick, tortillon or conte crayon since 1990. I still used a camera sporadically, but only to capture special events and vacations and not very seriously.

Over the past 18 months, however, I have rented a small artist's studio here in Charleston, taken approximately 50,000 pictures (sports, action shots, my dog, prom pics, wedding pics, travel, landscape, macro, abstract, etc) with various canon digital slr's (my own 40D and 60D, a Mark V rental and a 1DX), spent enormous amounts of time editing and learning, and generally drove my girlfriend crazy taking pictures of her. And I loved it. Every minute of it.

However, I have yet to produce a photo with the size and detail I crave - as an illustrator, I tend to draw in a very realistic, very detailed style. The 1dx with the 70-200mm IS II comes the closest, but it's just not good enough.

So, I want to try film (I just purchased a kodak retina IIIc 35mm for fun) and specifically LF because I have heard rumors that this format might produce some pretty good results. I have an interest in all types of photography (I have some digital pics on viewbug at www.viewbug.com/member/jamiehassan if anyone is interested in viewing/critiquing some of my photos from the past 18 months) and will no doubt be seeking advice (and therapy?) from y'all on equipment, operation, locations, etc. and I thank you in advance for any and all help and encouragement in my new adventure!

Thanks!

Jamie "where do you put the SDHC card??" Hassan

Re: Hello from Charleston, SC

Hi, welcome to the group.
    LF is a blast. And you'll fine everybody here very helpful.
    Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the forum, Jamie!

You are going to find that shooting large format is a lot different than shooting digital or 35mm. The process is going to slow you down which is actually a good thing. Spending more time on each shot results in more "keepers" in the end. Enjoy yourself and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Alan

and specifically LF because I have heard rumors that this format might produce some pretty good results.
    Not "might", it "will" produce great results. Welcome to the forum, Jamie! I also come from an art background (drawing, printmaking... currently teaching art), and switched to photography about 23 years ago as it gives me what I was looking for. Infinite detail.

Andrew

Welcome... You are going to like it here.
    I will be spending some time in Charleston; around the thanksgiving holiday
    Would appreciate any suggestions for good locations for shooting (landscape and wildlife)

Joel Edmondson

Absolutely fantastic place for large format. Jump in with both feet! Welcome to the forum.

Joel