Thread: Beseler 45mc and VC filters

Beseler 45mc and VC filters

I'm setting up a Beseler 45mc enlarger with the condenser head. I'd like to use the filter drawer between the condensers for Ilford multigrade filters and have a couple of questions. Please note the attached photos of the filter drawer that I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bes drawer 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	101869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bes drawer 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	101870

First, note that the clear plastic filter support does not extend the full length of the opening. It's about 3/8" shy of the "square" end and about 5/8" shy of the raised stop integral with the hinge for the wire bail. I would have thought it should extend all the way. Is this the way it is supposed to be? If necessary, I can cut an appropriately sized piece of acrylic to fit.

Second, I see a lot of references to trimming 6x6" multigrade filters to fit this drawer. The overall size necessary to completely fit the space would be 6 7/16" (front to back) x 6 1/4" (side to side). The condensers themselves have a diameter of 6.5". How should the filters be trimmed to fit? Should I take them all the way to the curved end and leave the square end open? Should I center them? Do I need to mask whatever is not covered by filter?

On a related note, I also have a Beseler branded cold light for this enlarger. It has a blue-green output which, as I understand, is compatible with using multigrade filters and paper. Is that correct? If not, I understand a CC40Y filter can be used in conjunction with the multigrade filters. Does it matter where in the light path (relative to the multigrade filter) that CC40Y filter is placed?

However, since the cold light eliminates the filter drawer, I'm not sure how to best mount the filter. I suppose I could cut and mount filters to fit in the sliding filter drawer just above the lens (which apparently was Beseler's original intent for using VC filters) or I use a below the lens mount (but prefer not to). Any suggestions?

I know it's a lot of questions and appreciate the help.

Re: Beseler 45mc and VC filters

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I had seen that, but if I do what I think Paul suggests, I'll have a broad crescent (approximately 1/4" at it's tallest point and about 3" wide) of unfiltered light on the square end of the filter holder. I can clearly see that "space" with the condenser head off and looking "up" the condenser with it's light on.

I'll try sending him a note to see if I understand correctly.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    I had seen that, but if I do what I think Paul suggests, I'll have a broad crescent (approximately 1/4" at it's tallest point and about 3" wide) of unfiltered light on the square end of the filter holder. I can clearly see that "space" with the condenser head off and looking "up" the condenser with it's light on.

I'll try sending him a note to see if I understand correctly.

Thanks.
    Holy cow, a seven year old post has come back to haunt me. I apologize, but I am no longer working in the photo school I was working in at the time I posted this and have sketchy memories of exactly how we set it up. If memory serves, the problem was that the filter box is rounded in the back and so if you don't trim one end of the filters, they will not insert all the way. We trimmed the filters and had great results. Of course, I no longer have access to any of the equipment or filters, so that is about all I can say. Sorry I can't shed more light.

Paul

Oh, one more thing, we were rarely did large format on these enlargers, perhaps the coverage was not a problem because it was mostly for medium format and smaller.
    Last edited by Paul Sorensen; 15-Sep-2013 at 21:46. Reason: adding info

I have the same filter holder in my 45MCRX. I just cut the 6x6 Ilford filters to fit the rounded part. Most of the light from the condensers is filtered and there is no noticeable effect when changing grades.
    I don't have the cold light head so I can't comment on that.

I think what I'll do is this:
    Cut another clear filter support that extends all the way across the metal holder.
    Mask the top and bottom 1/4" inch of the clear filter support with black plastic tape
    Trim the filters on 2 corners so they cover the non-masked portion of the filter support

Alternatively, I could cut multiple cardboard masks and mount individual filters to each. I'd still need the filter support as the masks would not be stiff enough.