Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery light leak

Re: Mystery light leak

My bet is that there's a surface inside the camera that has too much shine to the finish. I had a 4x5 gandolfi that did something that looked exactly like that until I flocked the inside of the back better.
    -Chris

I had the same issue with my Kodak 2D 8x10 just recently. Was convinced it was the film holders and rebuilt all of my wooden film holders and still had leaks. Took the camera to a shop and they checked it out with a film holder and couldn't find any light leaks, so I ruled out the camera. So what happens when we make assumptions? Re-checked the camera in the studio at night with one of those led reading lights with a flexible neck over a foot long by sticking it through the front and moving it around where the film holder makes contact with the rear and guess what? Old wood moves with time and the seal wasn't 100%. Used some thin foam to seal around the rear of the camera after I removed the ground glass and no leaks. Wasted a lot of film to find this out. Good luck, and revisit the seal between the ground glass holder and the camera body.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    I think you are right about using a dark cloth. I have been trying to use one of those "tunnel" design fabric hoods with elastic and Velcro. They are very useful to see the image but a pain in the butt when it comes time to load the film. On my Cambo I have to remove the elastic band section from around the back of the camera in order to insert the film holder. Or am I doing it wrong?
    I have found those tubes to be next to worthless. On my 4x5 I use 4x5 ft darkcloth. When focusing I can pull it together under the camera and block light well enough to focus my f18 Protar. SOmetimes teh old ways are the best ways.

Jim

Peter

There is a light leak in the upper left corner too, but not as obvious. I'd guess it's the tape hinge on the holder.