Thread: Z3100 and APS software on Win 7 or Win 8?

Z3100 and APS software on Win 7 or Win 8?

Now that Microsoft is surely going to stop support on XP next April, I need to consider my next move.

I have run the Win 7 and Win 8 Upgrade Advisers and it looks like I should be OK with an update to either version with a couple of question marks.
    The one I'm most concerned about is HP's APS (Advanced Profiling Solution) that didn't come up on the report as compatible or not. Info on Google is nonexistent on Windows 8 with APS. Win 7 will work with a little copy and paste of the registration key for APS.

Anyone here running a Z printer in a Win 7 or Win 8 environment? Issues?

Thanks
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Z3100 and APS software on Win 7 or Win 8?

Well, I've gone ahead and ordered Win 7 Pro Upgrade from NewEgg, so we'll see how everything goes.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Z3100 and APS software on Win 7 or Win 8?

Thought I would provide an update to the Win 7 upgrade. Although almost every single thing required 5-10 times as long as was expected and required extensive Googling to get working like the Virtual XP Mode and my ReadyNAS NV+, I must say that the Z3100 and HP Printer Utility installed first time around with absolutely no drama. After a re-boot of the printer, everything works perfectly. Communication seems faster under Win 7. Paper Presets updated the computer first try and Photoshop CS5 and the Z3100 worked together better than ever.

I always had a problem in XP with the Photoshop print dialog settings not being sticky and I could never access the Printer Settings within that dialog twice in a row without an error and having to select a different printer in the dropdown and then re-selecting the Z3100 to gain access. I used to print out of CS3 because it was easier. All those issues have disappeared with the use on Win 7. I guess my beloved XP was a bit long in the tooth. Heck, I think even Win 7 may have that same qualifier as I'm a bit late to the party.

I did have to order a new laser printer as my HP Laserjet 1100, being about 12 years old, has no drivers for Win 7. It's a shame, because it's still a great printer. I ordered a HP Laserjet Pro 1606dn from B&H for $164 shipped. I has great reviews and the price is hard to beat. I hope she's as worthy as the 1100. It'll be here tomorrow.

Anyway, all is well right now in Windows 7 land, except that I cannot turn of my NEC Multisync 2690WUXi while the computer is on. If I do and then turn it back on, the display will not come up. I have to reboot the computer. I have a habit of turning it off when I leave the room and I keep forgetting and have to suffer through a reboot. I have the latest nVidia driver for my GeForce 7600GT and the last driver for the 2690 that was available from NEC a few years back. I can't find any solutions on line so far, so this one will drive me crazy. NEC doesn't even offer drivers for their older monitors on their website so I can't even verify. That's really poor customer service.

That's all for now.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ