Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How are those JOBO Expert Drums?

How are those JOBO Expert Drums?

I've used the 3010 for 4x5 and it works really well. I love the fact that the drum even has an internal water jacket. I use it with a CPP-2.

I'll use the 3005 drum this weekend if the weather allows me to go out and expose some 8x10 sheets ...

I use Jobo Expert drums with 4x5 and have always had perfect results even with PMK. When I went to 8x10 though I got specks from chemical splash, I added EDTA and presoaked etc but although it did help I would get the occasional speck here and there on a sheet every once in a while. I tray develop sheets larger than 5x7 now and haven't had any problems.

If you are having trouble with sheets looking uneven(I suspect) it is probably because your agitation technique is at fault. I lift the sheet up at one of the long ends and flip it over repeating about six times then letting it sit for a minute. I develop one 8x10 sheet at a time in an 8x10 tray with 1 liter of PMK. I get four sheets per liter if I push it or two to be on the safe side. If you just shake the try from side to side or have multiple sheets in one tray the edges will increase in density faster than the center. I haven't used the Rollo Pyro but from all I've read its excellent with the Jobo.

CP Goerz

Note regarding older Jobo's: I have also used the 8x10 expert drum for color tranny work with excellent results with Kodak 64T (copy trannies of flat artwork). I roll it on a 1986 Jobo CPA2. The original motor was not strong enough to turn the large expert drum, but jobo was able to supply me with a new motor which I installed. The Jobo's aren't cheap, but they do last very well. Other than the stronger motor (old one was fine for all other drums) I have only replaced a thermostat. 18 years and still cranking!