Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are those JOBO Expert Drums?

How are those JOBO Expert Drums?

I have been experimenting with some low cost methods of 8x10 film processing and sadly, have yet to get perfect uniformity across the whole neg consistently. I thought I had it there for a while with the pitcher and turkey baster agitation, but on the last batch there was some extra density toward the sides closest to the agitation. Where I live the sky is quite clear, no clouds, and it's easy to see the variation in that sky. Dang.

So, I'm thinking of just doing it and getting a JOBO drum for $250.00. I don't care about doing five sheets at once, but am going for the quality that I've heard so much about.

Another related question, do you get better uniformity or worse with longer development times? I seemed to do better when my times were at about 7 min, then I tried some dilutions and got poorer results at 12 and 15 minutes. This was a surprise, I thought I'd get better uniformity with the longer time.

Anyway, how do you like your Expert Drums?

I've used expert drums for both 4x5 and 8x10 since 2000, and would never go back. The quality and consistancy of development is second to none. As to development times, I have used times from 7-14 minutes, and never noticed a problem with consistancy in either.

I have a love/hate relationship with continuous agitation, but the benefits of the Expert Drums for 8x10 and 4x5 so far outweigh any other factor that I have long settled on only using the Expert Drums.

In 4x5, I might add, I have used the Jobo 2509N reels at times to faciltate intermittent agitation and find that I get little spurs of undeveloped image near the rebate where the structure of the reels is close to the surface of the emulsion and so I have given this approach the flick also.

Here in Oz it is easy to pick-up Jobo kit at good prices as the digi boys do their lemming dance - it may be similar where you live.

As an example, three months ago I upgraded to an ATL 2000 in perfect order for just $AUD500.00 ... a far cry from the $AUD12,000.00 it cost just a few years previously.

The expert drums are great . I use one for my 8x10 negs with rolo pyro and bergger film development time 8 min. I use a Bessler drum (9.95 on epay) for my 11x14 negs same film same pyro same development time same results as the 239.00 expert drum

I don't have a darkroom and there's little chance of me setting one up. I got the Jobo drum so I could easily develop my 8x10 negs. I have since gotten one for developing my 4x5 negs too. They're great!

I use 3010 drums for 4x5 sheet film. I love'em. I tried shuffling sheets in trays, hangers in tanks, various tanks - and ran into all sorts of problems.

That said, if you don't already have a Jobo that can handle the expert drums, I'd suggest taking a look at BTZS tubes, or even open ended tubes that you roll in a tray a la David Kachel. Both solutions would be cheaper than a Jobo drum, and way cheaper than a Jobo drum and a Jobo processor, although not nearly as convenient in practice.

-Paul

Jonathan,

The quality is awesome for 4x5 and 5x7 sheet film! I use Pyrocat as a developer and I like to include a fair amount of sky in my photos. In ~200 negs in Pyrocat, I have never seen any streaking or developer-realted abnormalities. I'll never go back to trays or manually BTZS rolling tubes.

The only downside is the processor is big. Make sure you can fit in somewhere

work nice in 4x5 as others have said. No learning curve except to load it.

You need at least a CPA to turn it. Tap gently in a pull down motion in the edge of table to remove top. Notice I said gently while working around the diameter. Or buy the pump to pop the top off.

Biggest downside is lack of ability to use dilute developers due to volume restriction and to cut short or extend development of less than the whole run.

Jonathan, you don't mention what developer you're using. Sounds like what PMK was doing to me. I tried everything. Single 8X10 sheet in old Cesco flat bottom 10X12 pan, etc. Turned to the Jobo Experts just before I ditched the PMK. They ALMOST fixed it but not quite. Then I mixed up some Pyrocat HD and problem solved forever. I have 3005 and 3010. And the Pcat is giving me better negs anyway.

You'll find lots in the archives on this subject.

I don't do 8x10, but I do 4x5 in the Expert 3010 - up to ten sheets at once - and the results are flawless. Well worth the money I've spent. I process in Rollo Pyro, and spin the drum on an old Chromega base that I scored on ebay for $12.

I don't think you'll find anyone to bash on the Expert drums. Well, maybe one or two people. They are always out there.