Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking a "Bath" in glass....

Re: Taking a "Bath" in glass....

K25: keep the lenses. Eventually they will all go up in value. Congratulations, you now have GAS.

(Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

I have to agree with the others here...once you've paid a premium price for a lens (in regards to the current market value), to get half of that value in later resale (especially in the face of changing market values) is actually pretty darn good. You're not alone in your frustration, I've heard other photogs gripe about how "little" they could get on items they bought at much higher prices, but why assume that your vocation is somehow exempt from the logical rules of supply and demand and changing values you see and acknowledge in virtually any other area. Your car...you lose 20% of value the moment you drive it out of the lot. Your computer...maybe plenty capable several years down the line, but still effectively worthless in ridiculously short time. How about your "top of the line" DSLR from just a couple years ago? We understand why all those things lose value, but our emotional attachment to the things we really love (in this case, our beloved optics) doesn't allow us to see reality. The normal direction of value for any goods is down, not up, and half price is a testament to just how GOOD our lenses hold their value. Join the club...if you don't want the lens sitting there collecting dust, suck it up and take the loss. Seriously, it's the right thing to do.

You paid a big premium for the Rodenstock branded one either as a conscious choice or not knowing the existance of the Caltar.
    Inasmuch as the Clatra is the exact same lens most of the people here would not make the same choice and are very happy with buying the Caltar version.
    What you need is some patience and wait for somebody that really wants the Rodenstock brand and not the Caltar equivalent.
    Otherwise as you are finding out, you will not get much of a premium over the $200~300 the Caltar fetches.
    At this time everybody is enjoying the last weeks of summer and not really looking that much at equipment :-)

Good luck.
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Of course I know better now, at least I can write off the loss......I'll sit on it, maybe it will hatch like an egg..:-)

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    You paid a big premium for the Rodenstock branded one either as a conscious choice or not knowing the existance of the Caltar.
    Inasmuch as the Clatra is the exact same lens most of the people here would not make the same choice and are very happy with buying the Caltar version.
    What you need is some patience and wait for somebody that really wants the Rodenstock brand and not the Caltar equivalent.
    Otherwise as you are finding out, you will not get much of a premium over the $200~300 the Caltar fetches.
    At this time everybody is enjoying the last weeks of summer and not really looking that much at equipment :-)

Good luck.
    It is NOT the exact same lens. 1.the Sironar-S has more coverage 2. is sharper, and costs $$$$ because of 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    It is NOT the exact same lens. 1.the Sironar-S has more coverage 2. is sharper, and costs $$$$ because of 1 and 2.
    I don't think that is what he meant, the comparison was between the 135 Caltar-II N and the 135 Apo Sironar N, the S you refer to is the one I replaced it with. From what I can tell on the ground glass, both my N and S look the same with no movements. It is when I get to the outer part of the image circle of each that I bet I would see a difference. In the end, I am not sure the upgrade to the S was really worth it, the N is just that out of this world sharp.

Yes the Sironar-S and the Sironar-N are different as it has been said million of times but if you read carefully what I was writing it is in reference to the Sironar-N and the Caltar-N which are the same lenses.
    My point is that if you paid a premium to get a Sironar-N i.e. $600 you might not be able to pass this premium along if people in the know purchase the Caltar-N instead <$300 unless you wait for somebody wanting specifically the Rodenstock branded - N.

cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Just keep it and try to sell it in the spring when people are getting out of hibernation and need an excuse to buy more gear. It's a weird market, lenses are getting hard to sell, but try getting 8x10 film holders, people are asking double what they were a couple years ago. It'll swing back your way someday if you can wait and aren't hard up for cash now? Or you're decision to keep it and sell the s version might be a wise move also if you are happy with results of the n?
    Erik

It never fails, as soon as I whine, I dine, it just sold, awaiting payment...

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    It never fails, as soon as I whine, I dine, it just sold, awaiting payment...
    :-)