Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great article on Eggleston

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great article on Eggleston

HERE is a great article on William Eggleston. One of the few sources showing the person behind the myth.

Enjoy

Neat article, thanks Martin!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I confess, I've never heard of this person. Is there a site which displays some of his photographs ?

Oh I love this list Ken

He's probably the single most influential colour photogorpaher around (but a lot of Large Formaters seem to love to hate him - you'll probably hear - my cat takes better snapshots, my granny has an album full of pix like those, I throw away the ones that look like that or variations on any of those... :-) )

At it's simplest here are really just two strands of colour photography - those that follow through from Eggleston and those that try to photogorpah in colour what and how Adams photographed in black and white

A lot of his work doesn't really show well online.

try

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/E/eggleston/eggleston.html
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Thanks for the link. Frankly, I don't care much for his images either. They have a decidely queer feeling, and I prefer to be stimulated by Beauty, even if it comes through more faintly. To each his own, of course.

I have to admit, I prefer my own attempts to capture "modern times". But as I said, I try to convey a sense of beauty, rather than the queerness... even if it comes through rather faintly.

5x5 with 4x5

A perfect example of "critics" creating the personna......

A totally talentless and uninspired man with connections (and money) to create a career.

Would offer a dinner with Ansel Adams for a break for a smoke with Eggleston.

In b&w there's Atget and W. Evans and in color there's Shore and Eggleston. For me that's all I need. Great article Martin.

I'd pick the same four, but even then Walter, Evans derived from Atget and was hugely influenced by him (so much so, that at one point he even denied having been exposed to Atget very early on, saying he saw Abbot's Atget prints and negatives in the late 20's early 30's and they terrified him - even though it was a matter of record) and to a large extent, without Eggleston, Shore may not really have been able to do what he has done.

When you think about it, there are very few photogorpahers who have such a huge impact that they change the direction of photogrpahy. Atget is certainly one. Eggleston is definately another - without him we'd probably still be stuck in a sort of awful colour pictorialism - as Weston put it "Pretty stories, poorly told". It really is hard to imagine a huge amount of the colour work done today (as well as some of the best movies) without the initial influence of Eggleston. He's certainly a one off.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

One must consider an artist within the parameters of his own time. Eggleston's work is totally boring without the addition of a little weed or acid to make them interesting./
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)