Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polaroid MP-4 bino viewer on Speed Graphic

Re: Polaroid MP-4 bino viewer on Speed Graphic

bracan: Thanks for that clarification.

If the Sinar viewer can not be made to work on a Grafloc back . . .what is the point of mentioning it?

This thread is about mounting a viewer to a camera with a Grafloc type back. The conversion described in the OP involves swapping existing hardware and four screws. The Sinar solution mentioned above involves buying a whole new camera system.

With the pending success of the Wanderlust Travel-wide project, I would think that a light-weight viewer that is adaptable to several different view camera systems would be a new project that is worth perusing.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Bracan,
    The Sinar viewer viewer might be a good starting point for the project. I have both the sinar and the mp4 back and I would never consider the mp-4 as a long term solution because of the weight. The sinar back is very light and designed as a removable accessory. Both are bulky unfortunately.
    I can take some pictures of the back of both if you would want. Just PM me if you are interested.
    Mark

The main reasons to consider the MP-4 viewer are low cost/availability and the ease of adaptation. It is a heavy item.

What would it take to modify a Sinar viewer so that it will mount to a Grafloc back?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Don't forget that there are also:
    1) Cambo angled viewer
    2) Cambo straight viewer (better option than pt1 but more rare & more expensive 2nd hand)
    3) Chinese versions of angled viewer
    4) all the other companies that make the viewers…

Problem with all those viewers is as mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    The main reasons to consider the MP-4 viewer are low cost/availability and the ease of adaptation. It is a heavy item
    All the other options usually don't fit to Graflok with the simple modification that anyone can do in few minutes and higher price of the original items…

On the other hand - friend of mine just modified one universal lens shade with compendium, rubber lens shade, close up filter and earphone pad for the eye rest into great DIY viewer.

After using my MP4 viewer on Pacemaker - I have to agree - shooting vertical shots is not easy at all… hence I would prefer owning one of those "straight" viewers but I just wonder where to find 200+ US$ for it or all the needed components that friend used to make his own

Maybe some telescopic retractable mechanism could be made similar to Impossible Project's Instant lab that could feature magnifier on one end & 2 pins to lock into the Graflok… Maybe I should do it's 3D model & make a test on 3D printer?