Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermagis Serial numbers Need your help with a database

Re: Hermagis Serial numbers Need your help with a database

Hi Steven, thankyou for the info on my lens 18635 Convertible Petzval, it has (15 & 30-80) inscribed on the element opposite Hermagis oi' Paris if that helps

I will adding a new one soon. Thanks for yours too, Andrew!!

I'll start a new list soon based on the other digit markings (Typically, xxxxx. xxxx - xxx). I think it must have something to do with the model/size/focal length - so it may be without a solution unless we are very lucky. For instance, data from two identical lenses.

I have updated the Hermagis serial number list. Post #20.

There are some surprising gaps, apart from the Franco-Prussian conflict period.

I have now looked at the pre serial number engraving Hermagis Plain Petzval which looks absolutely kosher.
    The engraving and position is exactly the same as 7274, just without the serial number. The lens edges are signed Hermagis and there is a single clue "12 cent".

A bit off the theme in this thread, it has a special front insert for the lens hood for washer stops. With velvet seals inside the lens hood. Most of these must have been thrown away when they were converted to WHS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Alex Timmermans

Thank Steven for all tbe work!!

Regarding to your new Hermagis.
    Are you sure it's something originally made by Hermagis?
    I have never seen it before.
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl

Quote Originally Posted by alex from holland View Post
    Thank Steven for all tbe work!!

I am absolutely certain.

The internal fitting washer stop holder is obviously professionally made and fits perfectly in the brass hood.
    Hermagis were mostly busy with their patent "double ended" convertible at this time (say, 1856-1860) and production of "normal" Petzvals was quite small.

If you look at page 6 in P et P, you will see a selection of these simple Petzvals. None are particularly early except "3,670" - which I am convinced is a misreading of 8,670! Mine is an exact match for size 7, both focal length and diameter of the lens (61mm). No lens hood washer units are shown, but this could almost be expected as they all have WHS, except 9,305.

It is not a unique system - the generous seller (a member here!) has a much bigger Hermagis with exactly the same insert!

I thought I would show the barrel engraving found on the very early Hermagis Convertibles. One is shown in the P et P booklet. Mine is a little earlier and they found time enough to write the Parisienne address. Unlike many other Paris makers, Hermagis didn't often mention their address!

Note the twin screws holding the end of the rack. These are repeated at the other end of the barrel.

One important date is known about early Hermagis production - the date of the converible patent was July 1856. The two earliest convertibles registered in this thread have this patent engraved, which means they must be after this date. My gut feeling is that the patent date coincides with the start of serial number engraving on sleeves and barrels. Lens marking came much later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 27-Jun-2017 at 14:08.

This one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIG-BRASS-...vip=true&rt=nc

could be an early Hermagis serial no. 4307.

The rear and front cells have been assembled wrongly.

I base my case on:

- the very heavy duty rack is cut away near the lens cells. This identical in appearance to the earliest Hermagis I have.

- the use of double screws to secure the rack to the barrel at both ends. I have only ever seen this on early Hermagis lenses.

- the general appearance is not in conflict with Hermagis early brass.

- The lens diameter is 81 mm which matches one of Hermagis standard Petzval sizes.

- marking the barrel, rather than the sleeve, was done in connection with "monture universelle". The hood assembly, which would shed light on this, is unfortunately absent.

- the serial number is a number which is realistic considering the "known" numbers.

What does the glass edge writing say.

It is, unfortunately, not my purchase!

I don't believe this ever sold as a Hermagis. The rough numbering and the slightly out of true rack screws suggest it might have been a construction attempt that never found its way out of the workshop for retail sale.
    -
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 22-Jul-2017 at 08:12.

Quote Originally Posted by alex from holland View Post

This was the deep brass insert in the lens hood which had room for different washer stops.

There is a Lerebours listed (July 2017) which has exactly the same system. Quite a lot smarter than the heavy pillbox system. Given up quite quickly as WH stops became universal!

I have acquired ($60 ... ) a convertible Hermagis Petzval where only the front element survived and the latter is perma-mounted in the rear to be used as a landscape lens. 61mm diameter lens makes this a No7

Lens cell is not removable I'm afraid at this point in time, all my efforts so far were in vain.

Serial number on the lens is 12,651

There is writing on the inside and I can make out 166 759 but the last three digits are a guess as top/bottom is obsured ... I really need to get this lens set out to ascertain.

I'll follow up when I succeed ...

Cheers,

Adding another number to this list

14,444 - 1868, in line with the other data so far.

Convertible Petzval

EDIT

The owner indicates this lens also has 20fe written on the lens which I interpret as Février 20 ... as good as any other guess ...

This lens reads Hermagis opticien rather than Hermagis à paris

Cheers,
    Last edited by Amedeus; 24-Nov-2017 at 11:29. Reason: added edit section

I'm looking for an "old" Hermagis convertible Petzval and adding what I find to this list

Convertible Petzval

12,782 - confirmed nothing that can construe a date on the glass edge.

EDIT

The owner of the 12,782 lens checked the numbers on the elements per my request and this is his response:

"At the front lens it says also "Hermagis à Paris" and the number is 637-661.. Same number as yours. Probably a number for the works to keep track of which belonged to which probably!?
    Let me know what you think. At the rear it also says "Hermagis à Paris" and number 696-469."

Maybe it is a lot number but I have a sneaky suspicion it may also be the focal length of the individual elements. Will run the math to see if this is possible but it would be great to have access to a catalog page of Hermagis with the different Petzval models they were making at the time.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Amedeus; 25-Nov-2017 at 10:35. Reason: Adding info from the owner of 12,782