Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning to the Scene of a Crime

Returning to the Scene of a Crime

I was at the Art Gallery of Ontario on Saturday to visit the Turner, Monet and Whistler exhibit.

A couple of points hit me that are closely related to my style of photography, and in particular, large format photography.

I noticed that Turner and Monet in particular would paint the same scene many times. Each would be produced from the same perspective, but would reflect a different atmosphere. The impressionistic style would convey the differing senses of emotion as well as the dramatic colour schemes which were created by London's polluted atmosphere of the time.

I often find myself returning to a favorite haunt to make a photograph of a favorite subject. Sometimes I feel guilty about it, but now that I see that some of the 'great' painters do the same thing ....

I do it all the time.

I've written some ruminations on the tendency to go back to the same spot. 

Some photographers (I call them 'farmers') do this.  Weston must have
    visited Pt. Lobos hundreds of times.  Other photographers seem to hit the
    opposite extreme - I call them 'hunter-gatherers' - always on the move, always
    looking for the next big shot.

The difference seems to be more one of approach than a matter of right or
    wrong.

More thoughts on this at

http://www.butzi.net/articles/two types.htm

There's this old beached fishing boat out at Point Reyes that I've probably photographed a hundred times in the last ten years. I'm recording it as it slowly disintergrates. Someday, I'll show the best prints from this series together. I imagine the last picture will be of a pile of wood, or maybe of the spot completely empty.

I find it tremendously rewarding to revist the same place/thing over and over again, both to record the changes (or lack of changes) and also to challenge myself as a photographer; to try and find new ways of looking at the same thing. And of course, over time, we change as well, no?

Have you seen Richard Misrach's book "Golden Gate"? It is basically many, many large-format color photos of the Golden Gate bridge that he took from exactly the same vantage point (his porch, I believe) over the course of a few years. I like it very much. After looking at many of these images in one sitting, all completely different, I'm left wondering; just what is the real nature of this "thing" anyway? Of anything for that matter? Is there an objective reality?

Well, I suppose that's a discussion for another time. ;-)

Excellent topic, Ron.

I rather like the idea of revisiting a favorite haunt from time to time, getting to know it, along with its moods at different times of day, or different seasons. In contrast, Paul's "hunter-gatherers" never get past the "first date" with a location. They may get striking images on that first date, but don't avail themselves of getting to know the location better. To each his/her own, of course.

There's nothing wrong to eat your favorite food and drink your favorite brew as many time as you like. Returning to the same spot and take the same scene at different lighting, I did that all the time, if time permit that is.

" Art is perfectioning what you try to achieve...."

My best pics are made in areas I visit over and over again. Everything changes! There are millions of variations!

Francesco (www.cicoli.com)

It took Weston at least 30 Peppers to get it right. (Anybody know how many different ones he actually finished?)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I can argue for both approaches. When I was growing up, and attending college I lived in the SW U.S. I frequently visited the same places over and over again. Indeed, as my mind would wander (often in class) I would envision how to improve images that I had taken. As Paul's article points out, this is how to be in the right place for the ideal conditions. In my case this did result in a number of great images. However, sometimes we also dream of exotic places. I have made several trips to Alaska, Central America, and South America. On these trips I shoot a lot more film per day. Paul's hunter gatherer approach. It is doubtful that I will ever return there again so I make sure to stack the odds in my favor. Many times these images lack the emotion that my local images had. Perhaps this is due to my emotional attachement to the western U.S.? I suspect this is the case. However, the hunter-gatherer approach has yielded some images that I am proud of. However, the ratio of keepers to film exposed is significantly lower!

BTW - Paul, I enjoyed your article and your website.

Following an instinctive approach for taking a picture of a certain subject, I often find that it's very rare that I fully realize what attracts me to taking the shot in the first place. Only afterwards, looking at the print I understand (sometimes) what I really wanted to do. With this clarification in mind I like to revisit the place and retry the shot. Often, but not always, this enhanced understanding before the taking results in a better image.