Thread: Which shutter

Which shutter

As a beginner to LF photography, I have a few questions I can't seem to find answers to. I recently acquired a Nikkor 480mm lens. I am a bit confused about what size of shutter I should get for this lens. What determines shutter size? Is it the size of the lens? Any help would be great. I am planning on getting a 250-300mm lens as well. BTW, this is for an 11x14 field view.

Thanks, Matt

Which shutter

The diameter of the lens determines the shutter size. My guess is that you will need a #3 or larger shutter.

Viw Camera magazine did n article in our January 04 issue on mammoth cameras. If you call we will send you a copy.

steve simmons www.viewcamera.com 505-899-8054 m-f 8-5 mountain time

Which shutter

I found that the Dimensions diameter == 105mm. Is this the diameter you are referring to?

Which shutter

The 105mm is likely the filter size. What determines the shutter size is the construction/design around the center of the lens. Check the S.K. Grimes site (www.skgrimes.com) - they probably have it listed.

Then, start your hunt for a shutter at a reasonable price. Some machine work will likely be needed to mount it, and S.K. Grimes is a good choice for that work. They will be happy to give you a quote in advance.

Which shutter

I am guessing that you have a 480 mm Apo-Nikkor. To convert this lens to a shutter without losing widest aperture of the lens, you want a shutter with a throat with a diameter of at least the diameter of the aperture diaphragm of the lens when the lens is wide open. This might be a Copal 3, or it might even need a large size shutter. The Copal 3 shutter is the largest currently made, but larger sizes can be found on the used market.

Converting a barrel lens to a between the lens shutter is usually a major project requiring skilled machining. The cost will be high, between buying a shutter and paying for the machining. In a very few lucky cases (e.g., G-Clarons), the barrel lens unscrews, yielding lens cells that directly screw into a shutter. AFAIK, no Apo-Nikkor disassembles in this way -- custom machining will be needed to convert the lens to a between-the-lens shutter.

Another option would be to use the lens in front of a Packard shutter. These are inexpensive but primitive. They pretty much give only one quick speed.

Even cheaper is to use a slow film and stop way down and perhaps use a heavy filter -- then you can use your hat to control the exposure.

If you have sufficient money, you might consider buying a modern 450 mm LF lens such as the Fuji-C or the Nikkor-M. The 450 mm Nikkor-M has a reputation for huge coverage. Even though the initial cost is high, it might be less than the sum of the cost of a barrel lens, the cost of a shutter for it, and the cost of the custom machining. The best reason to have a barrel lens custom mounted is when equivalent lens factory mounted in a shutter are unavailable or difficult to find. This isn't the case for the focal length of about 450 mm.

If you decide to have your Apo-Nikkor converted to a between-the-lens shutter, S. K. Grimes, Inc. is a place that does this type of work. See http://www.skgrimes.com/lensmount/24art/index.htm.

Which shutter

I assume the Nikkor 480mm lens you mention is an Apo-Nikkor. If so my personal opinion is that it is not cost effective to have this lens put in a shutter. The machine work of S.K. Grimes to do that will be on the order of $300, and that does not count the cost of a shutter. You will need a Copal #3, over $400 new. You could also have the lens put in an Ilex #5 or Compount #5, but these would also be expensive, and are only available used.

By comparison, a 450mm Nikkor-M is a much better lens than the 480mm Apo-Nikkor (multi-coated and more coverage), and you can often find it used in very good condition for $700 or less.

In your place I would just plan to just use the 480 Apo-Nikkor by exposing with the lens cap. If that won't work, buy the 450mm Nikkor-M.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon