Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressionist photographer?

Drew Wiley

Re: Impressionist photographer?

...therefore bokey is mispronounced street slang for a bouquet which has been trampled underfoot, and when improperly focussed upon becomes, bokey, which
    is also a type of Turkish baloney.

Drew Wiley

... er, bokeh... er broke th' lens, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    That's good news, Stephen. Are you still using llamas to get your gear around?
    Hi Drew,

Yes I still have my two llamas, and they are amazing. Both of them really work hard to please me. They give me 120% of their effort, and we have become best of friends. They love being in the alpine where I spend most of my time. The higher we go the better they like it. They know how wide their side packs are and they will not go between anything that will rub up against their packs. So I trust them with all of my camera gear. I never look over my should because they will simply stop if they feel they cannot fit through a opening between trees or boulders.

They are also amazing guard animals. Their eyes, snout, and ears are disproportionately large to their body size which is why people think they are cute, but that means they can detect danger that is five to six hundred yards away. They will let me know when when something approaching that is either dangerous or is unknown to them in the area. I usually have a five to ten minute lead time before an animal approaches. The chances of a grizzly or wolf ever ambushing us is very low because they can detect danger long before I ever could. At night I usually bed them close to camp just to make sure nothing can sneak up on my tent.

However, the most important function they serve is to keep me fresh. Once we have established base camp, then its a matter of scouring the land for compositions. They carry all of the camera gear and I carry a small day pack with emergency gear. My yields in the field tripled when I switch to llamas because carrying a 60 pound day pack of camera gear all day long at 12,000 feet above sea level can wear you down to absolutely nothing. There have been times when I was so exhausted I did not have the strength to even take off my pack and investigate the possibility of a composition. Not so with my two llamas carrying that weight.

Thanks for asking Drew....

For those of you who are listening in, and think they would like to try llamas. Llamas are no different then humans. If they are well socialized and trained, then they can be amazing animals. Likewise, they can also be highly problematic if they have not been properly trained.

f90

I dont think we've seen proper impressionistic photography yet. If it was done thoughtfully I think it could be something that artistic photography has been waiting for. Kinda seems like something that photographers have been heading towards for a while now. Ah dunno, or maybe not.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Here's an example of Impressionist Photography:

Attachment 101094

Archibald Cochrane: The Buffet, 1907.

Recently I have been experimenting with creating Impressionists images with 6x7 and 4x5 cameras. It takes more than just a soft focus lens.

Thomas

multiplex

hi thomas ..

thanks for posting that image ---

i couldn't agree with you more!

thanks for starting this thread john, its been interesting
    to read what different people's interpretations of impressionism and pictorialism .
    john

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Here's an example of Impressionist Photography:

Attachment 101094

Archibald Cochrane: The Buffet, 1907.

Recently I have been experimenting with creating Impressionists images with 6x7 and 4x5 cameras. It takes more than just a soft focus lens.

Thomas
    That is quite beautiful!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think impressionistic photography shouldn't be photographs that look like impressionistic paintings, impressionism is about the mood set by the light. In my view Ansel Adams was a pure impressionist, the place was important, but his compisitions were led by the light and not by the scene in front of him. Using the impression light leaves behind is what sets photographers apart from the p&s crowd. The technique used is not important (ofcourse it was with the true impressionists and their use of color etc).

Drew Wiley

Thomas - I'd call that pictorialist photography. I don't think, by definition, there ever was such a thing as impressionist photography, or even could be, though Impressionist painters undoubtedly influenced the subsequent schools of pictorialist photography. I suppose wannabee Impressionism could be done in Fauxtoshop in the sense of repainting a scene, but that would more likely just involve some corny apps automatically imposed on the subject, rather than composition by fresh "impressions" of the scene. Perhaps there is some plasticity in the terminology ... and hopefully it isn't as idiotic as some of the pigeonhole jargon the art academics
    like to use.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    It takes more than just a soft focus lens.

Thomas
    yup.