Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Exposure systems

Re: Exposure systems

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Barendt View Post
    Excellent, almost indistinguishable, prints can be made across a fairly wide range of camera exposure settings without any change in film development.
    True that.

The ZS, its clones, and all other "systems" work by standardizing the process, and minimizing the influence of variables on the result.

You can develop your own "system", with results every bit as good as any published system, just by taking pictures and making prints.
    Take copious notes at every step of the process. Standardize on one film and one paper, and a specific developer for each.
    Write out your processing regimen for both materials, and follow those religiously, with absolutely no variation.

Over time, comparing the resulting negatives and prints, you'll develop your own style that's every bit as "valid" as anything published.
    They key is consistency, so you understand the consequences of any change in exposure or processing.

Following a published system may shorten the time required to achieve "good" prints by forcing you to follow the recommended
    methods. However, those may not match your personal shooting style.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    ....it's only a matter of picking the system that best fits your own particular way of working -- the one you are most comfortable with.
    I think Bruce Watson's early post sums it up well. Read about and study the various "systems". Pick the one which seems to fit your style and method of working and understanding.

Go thru the procedures and various tests as outlined to determine film speed and best printing results. If it all works for you, great. If not, move on to another "system" or method.

You won't know what's right for YOU until you try ...and no one here can say what works for you, (despite whatever they may think) though their thoughts and suggestions are well intended and may, indeed, be very helpful as you make your exploration.

But the point is: make that exploration yourself, hands on !

Good wishes in your search.

Dennis
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The ZS, its clones, and all other "systems" work by standardizing the process...taking pictures and making prints.
    Take copious notes at every step of the process...
    I like that advice. Maybe it IS the key.

While I don't pick one camera, one lens, one film, one format. I DO have one developer for film, one developer for paper, one paper (two grades). So I see where you are going and I might have a system that works because I reduced SOME variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I like that advice. Maybe it IS the key.

While I don't pick one camera, one lens, one film, one format. I DO have one developer for film, one developer for paper, one paper (two grades). So I see where you are going and I might have a system that works because I reduced SOME variables.
    I settled on one paper and on developer for a long while and that made a big difference in the quality of my prints, that choice was good and important and one that I recommend.

Lately though I decided to try and use up my paper leftovers, the stuff I'd been struggling with that pushed me to settle on one fresh, dependable, nice paper.

Turns out that it wasn't the paper that was the problem. Like normal, it was me. I simply didn't have the chops or understanding at that point to see and keep up with what the papers were offering me.

As my grasp of the craft grew in my one paper world, my ability to deal with various papers and other variables has changed too.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    While I don't pick one ... film...
    The suggestion to use one film and one developer is just to get you fully acquainted with that environment's strengths and weaknesses.

I said back in post #16:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    If you want to use a different film and/or paper, you must repeat the entire process with the new material(s).
    There's no limit to the number of combinations you can use if you want. The key is to know each one intimately, not just as a party pretty.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.