Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exposure systems

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Exposure systems

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Brushing aside the suggestion that we merely brush aside the issue and do what the meter tells us to do (I have never heard my meter tell me to do anything: perhaps I need my hearing checked)...
    Your hearing may be fine; how is your eyesight? Ha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumcat View Post
    I am new to the world of large format photography and have the first of what will most likely be many stupid questions. I shot 35mm and some med. format film back in the 80s, and have been shooting 35mm digital for the last 4 years so I am familiar with the basics of photography. My question is on exposure systems. There seems to be at least 4 systems out there.
    1. Zone system by Ansel Adams
    2. BTZS by Phil Davis
    3. VIDEC system by Andrew Eads.
    4. Use your digital SLR to figure it out and adjust for bellows?

Without starting any kind of a Mac/PC or Canon/Nikon type flame war, what does everyone here use?

I will be shooting B/W landscape type stuff and at least at first having a local photo store developing the negatives. At that point I will most likely have the negatives scanned into the computer and use NIK/Photoshop for finial processing.
    Large Format = Zone System
    Roll Film = Expose for Zone III and let 510-PYRO or OBSIDIAN AQUA or diXactol look after the highlights.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    They all come down to the same thing: Expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights.
    they - if as in all listed above - yes.
    Overwise - you are mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Ansel Adams and Fred Archer worked together to formulate the Zone System as a way to gain consistency in exposure and development of film and paper. All others have come after, and offer variances on the original.
    No, there were systems developed before that. And after that. And some of them have nothing to do with AA design

You can open photography manuals printed in 19 century, long before AA came, and find quite good exposure suggestions and systematic approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Large Format = Zone System
    RR

thank God , no. It is not equal. And seriously - enough with pushing that developer of yours.

To answer original question - as long as you using the SAME approach in how you meter thing and access scenes - it becomes system. Will be based on AA or on something else - entirely doesnt matter as long as you getting results you like.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    they - if as in all listed above - yes.
    Overwise - you are mistaken

No, there were systems developed before that. And after that. And some of them have nothing to do with AA design

You can open photography manuals printed in 19 century, long before AA came, and find quite good exposure suggestions and systematic approaches.

thank God , no. It is not equal. And seriously - enough with pushing that developer of yours.

To answer original question - as long as you using the SAME approach in how you meter thing and access scenes - it becomes system. Will be based on AA or on something else - entirely doesnt matter as long as you getting results you like.
    Forgive me Sergei I should have used a different symbol from =. My mistake. I would go back and change it but the forum application doesn't allow me to, so I will repost in an effort to be more clear. The point about the three developers I listed is that they are compensating developers. None of them are "mine" I happen to use them (along with other developers).

RR

I am new to the world of large format photography and have the first of what will most likely be many stupid questions. I shot 35mm and some med. format film back in the 80s, and have been shooting 35mm digital for the last 4 years so I am familiar with the basics of photography. My question is on exposure systems. There seems to be at least 4 systems out there.
    2. BTZS by Phil Davis

Without starting any kind of a Mac/PC or Canon/Nikon type flame war, what does everyone here use?

I will be shooting B/W landscape type stuff and at least at first having a local photo store developing the negatives. At that point I will most likely have the negatives scanned into the computer and use NIK/Photoshop for finial processing.
    For Large Format: Zone System
    For Roll Film: Expose for Zone III and let 510-PYRO or OBSIDIAN AQUA or diXactol look after the highlights.

RR

When I said earlier that ZS and its clones are advanced techniques, there was a good reason:

ZS is a SYSTEM.
    It includes every step from identifying a subject, envisioning the final print, then using the methods and materials required to make that print.

In order for it to work, you must select ONE film, ONE paper, and appropriate chemistry for each.
    Then you must do exhaustive testing to see how variations in exposure and processing affect each material.

If you want to use a different film and/or paper, you must repeat the entire process with the new material(s).
    The same is true if you want to change developers (or toners or other post-processing steps).

Only when you have completed all of this can you "place" a particular subject tonality on Zone IV, or use N+1 development to achieve a desired density range.

It ain't a chinese menu. You can't pick one or another feature of the system and expect to get any particular results.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

2. BTZS by Phil Davis
    Using #4 is really cheating yourself of the film experience, though I have done it myself when I have forgotten to bring my spot meter. But then I already have a good bit of knowledge and experience in "exposure systems". A good belt will guard against that anyway .

You can't go wrong with #1. Its principles are basic to the others, and if appreciated can take you all the way to your print (as intended).

You will find more helpful sub forums here with regard to that nonsense. As already stated, #1 will take you from film to print. If you're not printing yourself you may as well not bother with #1, as it can be difficult to fully comprehend and in fact poorly understood by some practitioners. That ZS is intended to give the photographer the utmost control within the limitations of the traditional process. I use the word nonsense because while there are plenty of good and necessary reasons to embrace digital processes in all their forms, it leaves me with a blank (and cranky!) stare as to why anyone, particularly a post-digital convert, would want to shoot a huge, expensive piece of film and not have as complete control as possible throughout the making of an unadulterated print, IMAO. Sure, just hand it off to your lab for developing and PS it, if that makes you proud... many do. AHH, progress.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    ... why anyone, particularly a post-digital convert, would want to shoot a huge, expensive piece of film and not have as complete control as possible throughout the making of an unadulterated print, IMAO. Sure, just hand it off to your lab for developing and PS it, if that makes you proud . (...many do)
    If the goal is the making of an unadulterated print there isn't much question about it, as you say. Making an unadulterated print is very difficult and requires total control. But that doesn't seem to be the goal in the original question, or so I assume from how I read the posting. Many people make really nice prints using, both, "adulteration" and cropping. I was assuming that given the proposed hybrid workflow. In that case, any of the systems could yield a workable neg... just as an incident reading or even a general-coverage reflected reading could. Why complicate things until there is a good reason to do so? There should be no shame placed upon folks who use labs or computer post-processing... it really is progress (just not of the traditional kind)!

I feel perfectly justified in offering a differing opinion in a non-digital forum. I quoted the OP because my purpose was to offer reasons why he may not want or need to invest in the ZS. I thought it was clear that I accept prints anyway they're made, as long as the photographer can justify them or they have a market. I'm backing away from non-confrontation in this case, and talking about another way to do things, because the rising tide of digital production is completely overwhelming traditional processes to the point that the "other" side is rarely heard, and very often disparaged by digital commercial products and services. I'm not anti-D. Blather on your indignancies. Picking at my words shows poor comprehension, or possible communication on my part, or both, of the point. Deal with it.

"Blather on..."; "Deal with it"???? Dude, I was basically agreeing with you. Since this is a discussion forum I was "discussing" a POINT made... not picking at your words to degrade either you or your opinion. Sheesh.