Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Optical Rangefinder

Re: Optical Rangefinder

That's correct, seperate, camera-mountable rangefinder device for determining distance otherwise known as an Auxiliary Optical Rangefinder
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20061110191747ACC-.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	99850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006111020919RF-Lg.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	99851

Is that a prototype in the photo? I have a Zeiss Ikon rangefinder and it has an optical base of 5 cm.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    At the risk of making the product slightly more complicated to manufacture and thus slightly more expensive, a useful feature would be the ability to adjust the position of the mounting foot to anywhere along the length of the body of the rangefinder and then lock it securely in place. The existing Fotoman rangefinder is an awkward fit to my Perkeo II - it obstructs access to the shutter release. But more generally, cameras have different control layouts along the top, and any fixed foot position is likely to run into trouble with some of them.

For those who aren't familiar, here's the existing product:

http://web.archive.org/web/201108192...20919RF-Lg.jpg
    I always wonder about people like you. Instead of complaining about how awkward it is to use your Fotoman rangefinder (obviously not made, for understandable reasons, to fit your Perkeo II camera) why don't you make your own DIY correction of the said piece? It is enough to unscrew the rangefinder's foot from its base, screw it to a base made by you and glue that base to the bottom of the Fotoman rangefinder at the exact spot that pleases you. How difficult can that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoman Professional View Post
    Just wanted get an understading of the level of interest in an optical rangefinder. We are in the process of detremining if there is still interst in this type of item. it is becoming more and more difficult to find decent optical rangefinders. We feel there may be a need for one. Please provide your comments and or suggestions.
    Dear Fotoman Professional,
    if you produced the rangefinder I think most of the people who buy the old surviving stock on Ebay would go for your product instead. The old rangefinders, sometimes in pitiful conditions, sell for more than yours could cost. You could fill a niche if you don't think of enormous profits from it. Good advertising (forums like these) would be necessary though.

Quote Originally Posted by Collas View Post
    Is that a prototype in the photo? I have a Zeiss Ikon rangefinder and it has an optical base of 5 cm.
    That's the existing product that Fotoman sold in the past - many of us, self included, already own it. The OP is trying to decide whether to resume production, and if so whether to change the design in any way.

Mine's great, easy to carry in the pocket, light, accurate. I would prefer to have one without the shoe attachment because I don't attach it to anywhere, and the shoe with its highly constrained edges just gets in the way.

One issue with the old ones is that they can be hard to calibrate. My Widor can be calibrated with two screws that are accessible with the rangefinder mounted on a camera, no disassembly required. That's a really good feature, if haven't already included it in yours.

I think it can be bigger than most I have seen. I would prefer one that uses the average persons PD, or pupil distance. Mine is 64 mm, I have no idea what average is.

I really think the days of tiny film cameras and accessories are past.

Be bold, be big, stand out!

I'll buy one or 2.
    Tin Can

At one point I was looking for an optical rangefinder to help me use DOF tables, but I found that I could buy a laser rangefinder for a not unreasonable price, so I did so. It meets my needs very well.

I have never used one. Are they accurate from 5 to 25 feet? Is the laser visible or a danger to a subject's eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post
    At one point I was looking for an optical rangefinder to help me use DOF tables, but I found that I could buy a laser rangefinder for a not unreasonable price, so I did so. It meets my needs very well.
    Tin Can