Thread: Rhinebeck, NY

Rhinebeck, NY

I'll be spending a few days in Rhinebeck next week. I'm usually just fine finding scenes of interest wherever I am, but would be happy for a suggestion or two of 'don't miss' locations nearby. Thanks so much.

Re: Rhinebeck, NY

I havent been there, but I'd make a beeline for the Rhinebeck Aerodrome

The aerodrome is worth a visit on the weekend when the planes are flying (weather permitting). The show is a little low budget but the planes are amazing. The Saturday and Sunday shows are slightly different from each other. The planes are hard to photograph on the ground because they park them very close together and right next to a fence.
    Other than the Aerodrome there are a few other attractions nearby:
    Wilderstein (Rhinebeck)
    Montgomery Place (Annandale-on-Hudson)
    Mills Mansion (Staatsburg)
    Vanderbuilt Estate (Hyde Park)
    Bard College (Annandale on Hudson)

I have probably left a few out. If I think of others I will post again.

Joby

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Judson Building.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	99564

Wife and I take a day trip to Rhinebeck a couple of times each year. Joby has given you a good list - but there are a few other things to think about:

Rhinebeck is a few miles north of Hyde Park, so you have the Roosevelt and Rockefeller estates. Also, there is Elinor Roosevelt's house. And the Culinary Institute of America offers a nice tour, and if you plan ahead and book a table, you can get a fabulous meal prepared by some of the best chefs in North America.

By the way, Rhinebeck has some great restaurants - Terepin, Arielle, and the Beekman House are our favorites.

Photographically, some of my favorite spots include the Rhinecliff Amtrak Station, and the Fisher Center at Bard College. The Fisher Center is a performing arts venue designed by Frank Gehry and has his characteristic stainless-steel arched roof design. And I've found that Main Street in Rhinebeck offers a few interesting subjects as well (eg, the attached image). And if you are driving north on 9G toward Annandale, keep going to find the Clermont Mansion, Olana (the home of Frederick Church), and the Rip Van Winkle Bridge.

If you are into landscapes, there are expansive views from nearby Burger Hill and the Ferncliff Forest Firetower. You also have 4 lighthouses nearby: Esopus Meadows, Roundout, Saugerties, and Hudson-Athens.

Thanks for the suggestions, including the restaurants :-)

Shot Rhinebeck for Baltimore Magazine a few years back for a travel segment on Fall places to go, I went to the CIA on that trip and got a guided tour at the CIA with the public relations office.... they serve lunch and have several styles of restuarants. I would look for places along the Hudson.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com