Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tripod for toyo 810M

tripod for toyo 810M

I was wondering what type of berlebach tripod should I get to hold a toyo field 8x10 camera, cause i would like to buy that camera in some months... i'm considering the Berlebach 242 due the weight 3kg and load capacity 12kg... some advice?

Re: tripod for toyo 810M

I think you'll be ok with the 242 model; I have the 810M and use a CF tripod rated for 15kg and it works great.

The crucial part will be the head, as the Toyo is heavy, large, and will be unruly if your head isn't up to snuff.

A max load capacity of 12Kg seems to be too light. The camera weight about 7Kg and must be added the weight of the head and of the lens that, for 8x10 may be quite heavy. My rule when evaluates a tripod is choose a model with max load capacity that is about the double the weight I might load on the tripod. I use a 2012 (or 3012, I don't remember the exact model) with my MII and is quite stable but a sturdier tripod would fit better.
    I agree with Ari about tripod head, the camera base is large and with some heads this may be a problem

La capacità massima di 12 Kg mi sembra un po' poco. Solo la macchina pesa circa 7 Kg ai quali vanno aggiunti il peso della testa e dell'obbiettivo che, per l'8x10, può essere piuttosto pesante. Di solito quando scelgo un cavalletto mi regolo in modo che il carico massimo sia all'incirca del doppio del peso che il cavalletto dovrà sopportare. Io uso un 2012 (o un 3012, non ricordo il modello esatto) con la mia MII e tutto è abbastanza stabile ma forse un cavalletto un po' più robusto sarebbe meglio.
    Concordo con Ari, la base della macchina è larga e questo può creare qualche problema con alcune testate

For the last five years with my Toyo 810M I have used a Bogen 410 tripod with a geared center column and their large three handled head with the leveling bubbles that takes the quick release plate. Not sure of the model number. Quick, efficient and stable and the flexibility with the legs and the ability to raise the camera is very nice.

That's a camera?

I've got my 810M on top of a Ries A100 (Overkill) and a heavy duty Manfrotto 3 way head.

Quote Originally Posted by DougD View Post
    I've got my 810M on top of a Ries A100 (Overkill) and a heavy duty Manfrotto 3 way head.
    I have the Ries A100 tripod and overkill is the correct adjective. My Deardorff V11 is booked solo for the Ries as it is 2.5x the size and weight of the 810M. Whatever trips the shutter......

I use a Horus Bennu C-3540V with a Manfrotto 229 head. Total weight is 3394 grams.

Stefan

Love the Ries double-tilt heads under any field camera, any size, regardless of your choice of tripod legs.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

FWIW, I have used a Manfrotto 475B w/329 RC4 low-profile pan/tilt head with the 810G with good results. I then found a good buy on a Gitzo G1500 with G1570M head and now use this set-up because I want to use 2 tripod blocks instead of one. Both tripod systems would work well with the M.

Thomas

thank you all for answers and tips, I choose that type cause there is a mounting head with ball that can be tilted 30°, the camera plate is 68 mm in diameter, so maybe i can avoid to use an extra head... can I ?
    Assuming that a 300mm lens weighs 1 Kg or 300gr(Nikkor M 300 / Fujinon C 300) a film holder 620gr and my darkcloth 200gr i get more or less 9kg.... maybe I should look for one until 15kg... but all the ones I saw in the Reports series are too low, 130cm Maximum height...