Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: will I see 8x10 infrared film ever again

Re: will I see 8x10 infrared film ever again

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    That's fine work, Sandy! Which camera and conversion did you use?

Hi Peter,

The images on the web site were made with several converted Digital IR cameras, including Canon G9, Canon 50D, and Panasonic Lumix G3. I have some more recent work done with a converted Nikon D800 but none of that is on the web site. With the exception of the 50D, which was to 810 nm, all of the other conversions have been to 720 nm.

If I could find a inexpensive IR digital sensor for 4X5 would buy it in a second.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

i have gotten some very good (to me) images with IR film, I have used efke 820, though I never shot it in 4x5 only 120 the only reason I didn't shoot it with LF film is because I didn't have a tank to develop it in and I figured it would have gotten fogged in the darkroom, too expensive to waste, what would 8x10 cost a sheet?
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    i have gotten some very good (to me) images with IR film, I have used efke 820, though I never shot it in 4x5 only 120 the only reason I didn't shoot it with LF film is because I didn't have a tank to develop it in and I figured it would have gotten fogged in the darkroom, too expensive to waste, what would 8x10 cost a sheet?
    Just after the news about the end of Efke, I bought 5 boxes of IR820, with 10 sheets each. I paid 34,87 EUR each, plus 30 EUR shipping. (from Fotoimpex, Germany). I also bought some 4x5 IR820, too.

I should have bought more though...

I understand what I'm about to suggest is kind of 'out there', but it might be possible to dunk ordinary blue sensitive X-ray film in a dye sensitizing bath to give it IR sensitivity. I suggest blue sensitive X-ray film because it is cheap, and I believe it has no sensitizing dyes in the emulsion. There is lively discussion over at APUG in the emulsion making subforum on sensitizing dyes. There might be one for IR that can be sourced by individuals. The old literature mentions di-cyanine dyes but I have no idea if they are available today. There might be something else that would work.

I did some searching in relevant threads at APUG and saw some candidates.
    xenocyanine is an IR dye

Neocyanine is available from Cole-Parmer $88.50 for 1/2 gram.
    3,3'-Diethyloxatricarbocyanine iodide is 107.25 for 1/2 gram
    so is 3,3'-Diethylthiatricarbocyanine iodide, available from Sigma-Aldrich for $56.00 per 1 gram bottle.

A few comments, the person who mentioned lack of movements on a DSLR for IR, toyo just came out with a digital back system.. I think it's for MF backs but could probably be adapted for canon/Nikon as well to give you movement options.

Contact Rollie and just ask them if thy will do a special run of 8x10 how much the minimum order would be, and see how many people you can organize to "go in" with you.

As for your "grey hair" comment. Check out some old canon 10D's that have been converted to IR and get one cheap, use it like a Polaroid to check exposure and then you will be a little less grey.

If I'm saying obvious things, sorry, just trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Dognini View Post
    Just after the news about the end of Efke, I bought 5 boxes of IR820, with 10 sheets each. I paid 34,87 EUR each, plus 30 EUR shipping. (from Fotoimpex, Germany). I also bought some 4x5 IR820, too.

I should have bought more though...
    Upon the announcement, I picked up 150 rolls of it in 120 and now have 1,300 sheets of it in 4x5, I'm set, you could not pay me to shoot digital IR, it's the real thing or nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Upon the announcement, I picked up 150 rolls of it in 120 and now have 1,300 sheets of it in 4x5, I'm set, you could not pay me to shoot digital IR, it's the real thing or nothing....
    Yea but Dan not everyone has your resources, but some of us have your lenses thanks man, loving this so far, just have to say it, I'm hooked! No IR though except a few 120 Rollei 400IR rolls, but would love to shoot some good 4x5's now. Also thanks for the tips on IR from back in January, they did help, even if I was pressed for time and didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yea but Dan not everyone has your resources, but some of us have your lenses
    Quite a few on here own homes, a socially expected investment. I rent mine but own a ton of film, so for now, I have invested in myself. That was last year, this year I am putting all my profits in the bank and saving for a house...:-)

Enjoy the format!

(Shrek)

There is lots of scanning/imagesetter IR film out there, yes it's difficult to shoot with, yes it's much slower than conventional IR, yes it has much higher contrast and requires a rigorous development to tame that contrast. But, I was able to buy 300 sq. ft. of Konica for $30 + shipping last fall. Yes I have to cut it myself into 8x10 and 4x5 to use it. No, it's not as nice as Kodak HIE or Rollei or any proper infrared film. But, it is a true infrared, with incredibly fine grain and it lasts forever. It's not really harder to use than X-ray, which lots of us are shooting also to save $. There are more deals to be had, if you look for them.