Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you learn new lately? Anything photographic? We are all students!

Re: What did you learn new lately? Anything photographic? We are all students!

Last weekend I went to Ventura and did a Carbon Transfer workshop with Mr. Jim Fitzgerald. It was amazing. I can see the potential in this beautiful process. Just when I got my darkroom dialed in, this comes along. Now I need a few more items. Good thing I have an understanding/encouraging wife.

I accidentally used dilution B instead of dilution H of HC110 in developing some Delta 100. Didn't seem to make a difference.

I learned how to thread a rod/tap a hole. I will need this knowledge in fabricating parts for my camera. I am studying general machining on my own and if I am lucky I can take a class on it at the university too. And I heard something about letting the 3D printer to student use...If I get to keep my current job this is going to be a good year.

Great, it's always good to learn a new skill. I am a firm believer in buying a tool, learning to use it and saving money in the long run, but sometimes that tool and learning curve is expensive. I have a lot of tools and always want more.

Show us your camera build in our DIY section, even if it is just an idea right now.

I also hope you keep your job!

Quote Originally Posted by VPooler View Post
    I learned how to thread a rod/tap a hole. I will need this knowledge in fabricating parts for my camera. I am studying general machining on my own and if I am lucky I can take a class on it at the university too. And I heard something about letting the 3D printer to student use...If I get to keep my current job this is going to be a good year.
    Tin Can

Reading about Edward S Curtis and F Holland Day.

Learned by doing: Scanning recently developed B&W negatives showed that color filters affect granite texture about like skin texture; yellow/orange reduce blemishes/texture in granite. Good thing to have in the back of my mind, as we have much of that around here. I'll probably go the other direction (green) next time I photograph granite.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Yup! The Mamiya holders have a groove or edge for the International back, normal 2x3 holders do not work.
    Do the Mamiya 2x3 holder have the same film plane as regular 2x3 holders? If so, it would probably be feasible to make grooves for the GrafLock.... Lot's of 2x3's around, not a lot with Mamiya brand. But why one might ask, if there are 2x3 Grafmatics.... and they are not that expensive either, from what I noticed.

So when is someone going to get a digital back onto the RB..... there is one for the RZ, right? But we want it on the BRUTE..... just BECAUSE.

Yes, same film plane. Full size 6x7cm digital back would be great.

Soon some genius will make a new sensor that scales to larger sizes.

I have 3 RB's. Because now they are darn near free, one was. I bought an RZ, I thought it was crap compared to an RB. ymmv

I have 3 LN Grafmatics and I simply grabbed the Mamiya DDS's as they were cheap also. Really well made, almost as nice as the 3 Busch 2x3 DDS's I have. I have been collecting 2x3 sheet film cameras, holders and film. I like the film size. I have 2 little waffle things to develop 12 sheets at a time in a 120 can.

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    Do the Mamiya 2x3 holder have the same film plane as regular 2x3 holders? If so, it would probably be feasible to make grooves for the GrafLock.... Lot's of 2x3's around, not a lot with Mamiya brand. But why one might ask, if there are 2x3 Grafmatics.... and they are not that expensive either, from what I noticed.

So when is someone going to get a digital back onto the RB..... there is one for the RZ, right? But we want it on the BRUTE..... just BECAUSE.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by rich caramadre View Post
    Last weekend I went to Ventura and did a Carbon Transfer workshop with Mr. Jim Fitzgerald. It was amazing. I can see the potential in this beautiful process. Just when I got my darkroom dialed in, this comes along. Now I need a few more items. Good thing I have an understanding/encouraging wife.
    Excellent! He is a good man!

I did learn that doubling the development times for Acros would give me some 120 negs that look like excellent candidates for platinum printing...perhaps even carbon. It helped that the scenes already had a large range of light values, too.

I learned that my phone's photo app has filters that do such a convincing job that I can post pictures on wet plate forums that fool even the experienced photographers. I mean so long as I photograph a person's head/torso with a really stiff, wooden expression and no gestures or hint of movement.

Randy, I actually started a thread about my current build in the DIY section a few days ago
    And my previous build looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/moribundworld/8962444804/

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Great, it's always good to learn a new skill. I am a firm believer in buying a tool, learning to use it and saving money in the long run, but sometimes that tool and learning curve is expensive. I have a lot of tools and always want more.

Show us your camera build in our DIY section, even if it is just an idea right now.

I also hope you keep your job!