Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new custom made 11x14 and 8x10 field camera

My new custom made 11x14 and 8x10 field camera

Hey guys, just want to share my new finished 11x14 camera, after 6 weekends of work and 250 dollars of material is in perfect working condition.
    I got the bellows from ebay for 85 bucks and the rest from hardware store.
    The camera folds and easy to carry with the handle, I can use from 165 mm, wide angle on 8x10 up to 800 mm. lens focusing at infinity.
    I builded from scratch the 11x14 back and the 8x10 one was from an old B&J gray camera.
    The focusing is done by moving the front standard on the monorail guide, The camera has front tilt, swing, vertical shift. The rear standard has tilt and swing.
    I did some test with negative paper and works fine, now time to get some green X-ray film 11x14 for contact prints.
    Sal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1765.jpg   IMG_1618.JPG   IMG_1619.jpg   IMG_1620.jpg  

Re: My new custom made 11x14 and 8x10 field camera

well done

Very nice.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks guys.

Hopping to have such ability to build my ULF gear.
    Well done,Sal.
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Very nicely done, can you supply more on your 11x14 back?

Perhaps closeups of the vital areas and methods?

I am working on a 14x17 back and need a few ideas.
    Tin Can

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	99209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	99210
    Hi Randy, here 2 images showing the back. As you can imagine is the most difficult thing to make.
    I started taking measurement of my film holder, prepare the main base support, cut the opening for the size of the film, I then builded a frame the same size of the film holder 1 inch thick taking in consideration the light trap on the right side, after prepare it I double check my film holder will fit in place perfectly, I then builded a new frame around the first one higher that will level out with the film holder in place. For the Ground Glass I got a cheap 11x14 frame I then put frosted clear adhesive on the internal side, cut 2 corners for the vacuum effect, I add 3 extra wood pieces on the 3 sides to match the size of the film holder, now I have the GG inserted and is perfectly in the same spot of the film holder, I add a handle for easy pull. At the Hardware store I got 4 metal strips (2 for each side) to make stronger and fixed them with on the top of the main frame with a little loop at both ends, then 4 nails, 2 for each side that will insert in the loop. Is still a little rough construction, waiting for better steel strips, but works for me.
    Hope this help, Sal

Thanks Sal, every idea helps. I learned a bit from this site http://cdtp-photography.blogspot.com...ew-camera.html

I wish these guys would follow up as they said they will. Pretty good info and execution.

Mine will use ideas from everywhere.

I like how you got yours done pretty quickly. Good work!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sestese View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	99209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	99210
    Hi Randy, here 2 images showing the back. As you can imagine is the most difficult thing to make.
    I started taking measurement of my film holder, prepare the main base support, cut the opening for the size of the film, I then builded a frame the same size of the film holder 1 inch thick taking in consideration the light trap on the right side, after prepare it I double check my film holder will fit in place perfectly, I then builded a new frame around the first one higher that will level out with the film holder in place. For the Ground Glass I got a cheap 11x14 frame I then put frosted clear adhesive on the internal side, cut 2 corners for the vacuum effect, I add 3 extra wood pieces on the 3 sides to match the size of the film holder, now I have the GG inserted and is perfectly in the same spot of the film holder, I add a handle for easy pull. At the Hardware store I got 4 metal strips (2 for each side) to make stronger and fixed them with on the top of the main frame with a little loop at both ends, then 4 nails, 2 for each side that will insert in the loop. Is still a little rough construction, waiting for better steel strips, but works for me.
    Hope this help, Sal
    Tin Can

Looks great, Sal. Congrats.
    Qs: how much does it weigh? What kind of wood did you use? How is the stability?

Hi Michael, the camera is very stable because of the "heavy duty" bellows from a process camera, I also made 3 different position fir the tripod holes on the bottom for more stability but I always use the one in the center and the camera is balanced very well with all different bellows extension, for the wood I used oak, is little heavy but stable with time.
    The camera is around 25-26 Lb.
    Sal