Thread: Idea for Cooke?

Idea for Cooke?

It's wonderful to see Cooke Optics back in the market with superb products for the LF photographer. Assuming that the Portrait lens and now the triple convertible are a big success-what next?

The demand for used Dagors seems limitless and prices are rising as a consequence. Their huge coverage (especially the longer focal lengths) and timeless design set them apart. What about a new version of the 16 inch and 19 inch 7.7 from Cooke?

Here's hoping,

Alan Barton

Idea for Cooke?

I'm pushing for re-birth of their Series VIIb lens.

Idea for Cooke?

Alan,

Barbara Lowry from Cook Optics regularly monitors and contributes to the f32.net forum. If you post your request there, you'll have a direct line with Cooke Optics.

In fact, the following thread on the forum developed into a "Where to next?...." for Cooke. Why not tack onto it? Barbara still monitors it.

http://www.f32.net/discus/messages/6/4008.html?1087185735

Cheers,

Geos

Idea for Cooke?

I think that it would be best for them to make lenses that aren't made by others.

How about a 180 degree circular-fisheye lens for either 4x5 and/or 8x10.

I'd also like to see a small, light-weight zoom lens (perhaps 24-120 35mm equivalent) for backpacking with 4x5. It should be the size of a 90mm Angulon with multiple aspheric elements and an infinetly variable zoom lever. Cooke could even team up with Walker and make a super light-weight expedition camera with this lens that would not need a lensboard - it would be permanently attached.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Idea for Cooke?

"a super light-weight expedition camera" must be something like my 1934 Voigtländer Bergheil. It doesn't use lensboards, but a small bayonet adapter. Did you know that the Angulon can be used as a convertible? Unscrew the front element, and shoot it as a 180(ish) f:13(ish)! Not bad quality at all from such a tiny thing... Combined with a 150mm f:4.5 and possibly a 120mm Angulon as well, you have three lenses covering 90, 120, 150, 180 and 240mm in less of the space and weight of a Super-Angulon.

So what do you need a 2kg zoom for?

I've been following the debate on f32 for quite a while now. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the real "gap" in todays market is in lenses for "RLF" - Really Large Format. There's a plethora of lenses for 4x5", fewer for 8x10", even fewer (at least well-adapted) for 5x7". But those who use 8x10" and up, with movements, often end up using brass lenses from around 1900. So that's what I'd advise Cooke to do: Long lenses with good coverage and moderate weight.