Thread: Wet Mounting on ChromaGraph S3400

Wet Mounting on ChromaGraph S3400

I am beginning to wet mount on my drum scanner and I am experiencing problems with my tape. The tape that I am using is old and I suspect that this is the problem but wanted to post pictures to see if it is my technique that is the problem.

I am mounting directly on the machine because it is a better height and distance than my mounting station. I put a small piece of tape on the negative, then I put a piece of acetate with tape at the top over the negative. I then put a piece of tape on the bottom of the acetate. I then roll the drum back and spray mounting fluid on the underside of the acetate, top and bottom of the negative. I pull the acetate over the negative and tape down the bottom side. I am able to get a good seal with very few air bubbles. I then use tape to pull the acetate a bit tighter and finish by sealing all of the sides with tape. The seal looks great for about ten minutes and then the ripples in the tape show up.

The tape is also leaving a ton of residue behind when I pull the tape off of the drum.

Pictures below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	98920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	98921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	98922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	98923
    Last edited by josh treadaway; 17-Jul-2013 at 05:37. Reason: added more information

Re: Wet Mounting on ChromaGraph S3400

Josh,
    Did you ever resolve the tape issues? I usually use 3m tape with Kami and it leaves a little residue but easily removed using drum cleaner fluid.

What software do you use to scan your negatives? Does it give you accurate colors?