Thread: Millimeter Scale

Dave Karp

Millimeter Scale

Hi all,

For those of you who have been thinking about adding a millimeter scale to your view camera as a focusing aid, I found a nice page that has a variety of printable rulers in pdf format - Just print them out on your laser or inkjet and cut to fit your camera! Here is the address:

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/

I used Avery Adhesive Laminating Sheets on both sides of mine to make the scale more permanant, and am going to add it to the bed of my Crown Graphic. (I think I am going to use double sided tape to hold it down.) The newly modified camera is joining us on our (extended) family vacation. I hope I get a chance to try it out.

Millimeter Scale

metric graph paper is fine, cut in strips with paper cutter. I've used it on my Deardorff for years.

Millimeter Scale

David,

Thanks.

Millimeter Scale

I did the following for my Toho FC-45X. I photographed a metric scale with mm marks. I then reduced it in size appropriately, printed it, and taped the result to the focusing knob. The mm marks on the original scale are now tenths of mm marks. Using this, and the gearing ratio of the knob to the rail, I am able to accurates measure movements along the rail to a few tenths of a mm. See

www.math.northwestern.edu/~len/photos/pages/dof_essay.html

For the rail itself, I use an adhesive backed steel metric tape. You can find such a tape at Amazon and any store specializing in wood working equipment should be able to sell you some.

Millimeter Scale

If there is an IKEA store nearby, drop in and grab a couple of their (millimetric) rulers, of paper with some coating that makes them a bit more durable. Other stores may have equivalent rulers.

Dave Karp

Millimeter Scale

Just a follow up.

I used 2 sided carpet tape to hold the scale to the camera bed. It worked fine, and if I have to remove it, it peels right off. The scale worked great. I made a few photographs on vacation, and was very happy with this addition to my camera.

Thanks for the other suggestions. If this does not work for me in the long run, I will try them.

Millimeter Scale

Try

http://www.profhdwr.com/stickarl.htm?clkd=iwm

I purchased the one with a metric scale and cut it length-wise. It is durable and the adhesive is very strong.

With shipping, it's costly, so I found some other tools that I needed on the site just to make the shipping worth while.

RM