Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait lens for 4x5 for around $300 any suggestions

Portrait lens for 4x5 for around $300 any suggestions

I am looking for a decent, reliable 210mm-300mm for 4x5 portraits. I have a Nikon 150mm F5.6 I like very much but I prefer some thing longer for Head shots.I am using a Tachihara so I believe 300mm would be the max. Is the Convertable Symmar 240/420 a good lens. Ive seen them go at decent prices. I Any other recomendations?

Sam,

I recently saw some nice B&W studio work done with a Rodenstock 270mm Rotelar. I suspect this lens or a corresponding older Schneider Tele-Xenar would work nicely. Both should be well within your budget.

Steve

I have a 210 convertible Symmar that I like for portraits on 4x5". A 240 would be fine as well.

I have a 254mm f6.3 Caltar (old one) in an Ilex shutter that is extremely sharp. Even at f8 and f11 the center is sharp, which is great for available light portraits. I got it years ago used for $50. I would imagine these are still very reasonable used. As with many older lenses, quality may vary with each lens.

The 250mm Fujinon SF sells new for $750 and you should easily be able to find a used one in the $500 range.

If you want to stay at the 210mm end, looks for a commercial Komura 210mm 6.3 on ebay. A tessar design that will cover 8x10 when stopped down all the way. They go for $150 or so and they are great lenses.

Sam,

You might consider a 203mm F/7.7 Ektar. Its a nice lens, close to 210mm, and you should be able to find examples within your budget. A 240 G Claron barrel lens should also be within your budget, and you can always spring for a new copal shutter later on(thats what I did!) or canabalize a prontor press shutter off a polaroid copy camera for very little money (did that too!). If you want a soft lens, look at Wollensaks like the Verito or the Velostigmat. A word of caution: the Veritos can get kind of big though! Perhaps someone else can comment on how they'd fit on a Tachihara lensboard. A Velostigmat in a working Rapax, Betax or Alphax shutter would be a nice portrait lens--a little soft when opened up and quite sharp when stopped down. They go for very little moo-lah (around $100 I've noticed) which makes them a real deal. I've got a 6" velostigmat on my anny speed graphic---sweet lens.

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Terence

Jay O Tepper's website almost always has a few portrait lenses in this price range. Most of the older 9" portrait lenses should do well. I find most of the more modern lenses too sharp for portrait-type work. If you are looking for a more general purpose lens maybe go for an older wollensack. They'll be softer thn today's lenses, but still sharp enough for general work.

multiplex

hi sam

if you can find a 10" wollensak veritar that is a great lens for portrait work. it is found in a alphax shutter and has a bi-post flash sync.

300mm is too long for a Tachihara 4 x 5. I mounted my 12" Dagor on mine and couldn't focus it at infinity. The bellows is just too short. I use a 210mm and can get plenty close with it.