Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable 4x5 for use with 450 lens

Portable 4x5 for use with 450 lens

I am re-phrasing an earlier question. What camera would you recommend, which would allow me to use a Fujinon 450A in the field, but would also allow the use of a lens as short as 150, with the same bellows ?

I am aware of the Canham, but one reviewer suggests that at its maximum extension, it can be unstable, or strained.

Some have suggested that even though the 70mm bellows is long enough, an Arca Swiss becomes unstable at the same extension, because the rail design is not robust enough.

Would it be better to get a 5x7 camera, and use a 4x5 reducing back ? Are they built with enough rigidity, or would this length exceed their intended use anyhow ?

I would like to avoid having to use more than 1 tripod. I would prefer it if the camera were really steady enough to begin with.

Ken,

The Arca F-line will be stable and secure with a 450 lens. I use it with a 19" lens with no problems.

Ken,

One of the Ebony line will fit the bill beautifully. I have an SV45U2 with Universal bellows, and it easily accomodates all of my lenses from 47mm to 720mm (telephoto) with no bellows changes. I have a Fuji 450 "C" (non-tele) and it has a lot of room to spare beyond infinity. With the 720mm tele, I can focus down to about 20 feet; its nodal point is around 480mm.

It is extremely rigid - more so than any other wooden camera I've seen. When using long lenses, if it's breezy I use an umbrella to shield the bellows. There is no reason whatever to use two tripods; I shoot mostly long lenses and obtain very sharp results.

I'm not as familiar with some of the other Ebony models, but there are several others that will also accept a 450 non-tele lens. Specs are listed on Ebony's and Badger's websites. I have a short review of the SV45U2 on my site; feel free to ask questions if you need more info.

Regards, Danny www.dannyburk.com
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

Here are some specs for the Wisner Traditional and Technical Expedition 4x5 models, cut from wisner.com:

Minimum focus, normal bellows..... 115mm

Maximum focus, normal bellows...... 30" (762mm)

Beware delayed delivery times if you deal directly with Wisner.

Octogenarian

Hi Ken,

The Fuji 450C is mounted in a Copal 1 shutter and only weighs 270gms. Since it is a compact, lightweight lens, it doesn't put very much strain on an extremely extended front standard. My Ebony SV45TE allows the use of the 450C with the standard bellows. I have added the 34mm. extension lensboard to allow more close focus versatility. It works for me.

Take a look at the 5X7 Tachihara. Jim is expecting a shipment of them in the near future. He can probably get the 4X5 reducing back for the 5X7, if you decide you want to use one. It would certainly solve the longer bellows problem. The 5X7 Tachi is probably a very rigid camera at an extended bellows configuration, judging from my 8X10 Tachi. From what 5X7 owners say, you may learn to love the 5X7 format.

Switch to Sinar - it's all dirt cheap on fleabay and you can build it as long as you want. I like Arcas better too, but it's hard to beat the wide availability and price of used Sinar gear.

I have had no problems using my wooden Canham with a 19" Apo-Ronar, which was a much heavier lens. In fact, I found my Canham to be much more solid at those extensions than a friend's 8x10 Deardorff. However, in my experience, no field camera will be as solid as a good monorail.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I was comparing the wooden 5x7 Canham, not the 8x10.

Hi Ken –

I use a 450mm Nikkor on my Canham DLC, no problem. It focuses a lot closer than you think it would, too.

On the short end, I can use a 90mm with some movements. I’ve even used a 65mm with no movements with the same bellows.

I’m a big fan of the DLC. Not everyone likes them, though.

- Wow - What wonderful information !

Peter: May I ask, how is your camera configured ? I presume you have the 700mm bellows, but which rail are you using ?

Eugene: According to Tuan's article, the bellows draw on the Tachihara 5x7 is 450mm, just barely enough perhaps. I had a Tachihara 4x5, sold it "on my way up".

Frank:Thanks - I forgot about Sinar. I will definitely have a look.

Kevin: Thanks - It puzzled me that the Canham DLC would allow the long draw, but not "deliver", as it were.

Another consideration is the Shen Hao 5x7, which gives a 600mm bellows draw. Getting a 4x5 reducing back, is perhaps another question.