Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix etc. Stolen in Medford OR

Re: Chamonix etc. Stolen in Medford OR

Thanks again for your support and sympathy friends. At this point I've called all the likely shops and checked craigslist finding nothing. Its depressing whenever I let my mind wander over all the time spent with that outfit. In retrospect, that bag was at risk on thousands of other occasions (20 yrs of usage), somewhat out of necessity at times. For the most part, I was very careful, but there are times when you're out shooting and you leave the gear in the car while scouting, or maybe I was shooting and got a little ways away and realized I had gotten separated in my shooting reverie. I'm certainly not happy about the loss, but I'm working on it.

I have an older arca swiss and some normal and longer lenses to use, but am currently without a wide for that 4x5 format. I'm looking at maybe a 90mm 4.5 Nikkor to at least get me back out into the field. Had the f8 and loved it, but could use more light for what I was shooting, and they seem to be going pretty cheaply. If anyone is looking to unload a good condition, fast, 90mm, I'm interested.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

I'm feeling pretty lucky this week. There's been some good news regarding my theft incident, which is that somebody found my stolen camera equipment, a guy who's truck was stolen and then recovered. Apparently the thieves stole the truck (the Toyota seen in the video) and then went on a robbery spree about 20 miles away, in a different police jurisdiction. The sheriff found the truck 3 or 4 days later and returned it to the owner who later found my gear and other stuff in the back, which the sheriff had left in there presuming it was his. He was honest enough to call me (I had an id tag on it) and I'm going back up this weekend to see what can be retrieved. It sounds like nearly all of it was left in the truck, amazingly enough. About $3500 worth. The truck owner refused an offer of a reward for being kind enough to call me.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

That's great news. I had no such luck when my 5x7 gear got stolen out of my truck at a motel -- same mistake as yours. I used the insurance money to upgrade to 8x10, so my experience was a bummer but not a total loss.

joseph

Really glad it's turned up, for no reason at all I had a feeling it might...
    Now, if it had been something useful, or valuable...

Only joking- I know how long it takes to put a kit like that together- it really doesn't happen overnight.
    Well, sometimes maybe, outside motels...

Hope you're taking pictures again soon...

loujon

Awesome news John! What a stroke of good fortune. Man after being the victim of a theft like that it must feel good to know you'll soon be reunited with your gear. Bully for you man, Bully for you!

Also a BIG Hip Hip Hurray! For the honest Toyota pick up owner. Here's where your luck really came in. This guy easily could have been a real jerk and just said nothing.

Wow! I'm happy to hear that you got some/all? of your gear back.

John,

Cngratulations! I like stories with a happy ending.

Hugo

John, I think the secret to my success at never having a camera stolen is, it's so ugly the thieves just laugh at it. Scruffy old wood camera with an ordinary old black lens on it that just says Pinkham and something.

That's great news, John! I'm happy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    John, I think the secret to my success at never having a camera stolen is, it's so ugly the thieves just laugh at it. Scruffy old wood camera with an ordinary old black lens on it that just says Pinkham and something.
    It's either that or your bumper sticker that says, "This vehicle and contents are protected by Smith and Wesson".