Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix etc. Stolen in Medford OR

Re: Chamonix etc. Stolen in Medford OR

Tell the police, they might recover it. Good luck ~ was it insured?

Lately they've discovered that thieves are using a hand held gadget to fool the car's computer into unlocking the doors.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    ... I'm kicking myself now because I could've ...
    I know you are, but go easy on yourself. We've (me, especially, it seems) all made decisions like that backfire. Sorry about your loss. I continue to be amazed at the recent reports of LF gear theft. I'm also amazed at the amount of stolen LF gear that is repatriated. I hope yours turns up also, and in good shape. Again... sorry to hear about your unfortunate envent.

Thanks for your condolences. I appreciate the sentiments and suggestions.

Lots of thoughts in the aftermath about what I'd do differently. One thing I've noted is that the loss has a personal quality when you've spent a lot of time assembling and using a set of equipment, and its not just the material value that needs to be factored in when one is considering the level of caution to be taken. I'll not be leaving equipment in a car overnight anymore, but I can understand the circumstances that led to my doing that in this case. The motel management said that they hadn't had any robberies of that kind in several years and that it was highly unusual in that location. There was a video taken that's being reviewed and we'll see how that goes. The foolish assumption that I really made was to think that a meth amphetamine driven robber will be using good logic and not break into an older car in an area that's in plain view. You need to allow for that craziness when your on the road and keep anything you care about with you.

As far as robberies go, I didn't lose my wallet, ipod, ipad, or computer, or my nice guitar that I'd brought to the room, or anything that's irreplaceable. They also overlooked a nice Feisol tripod with a Foba ballhead. So its decidedly unpleasant, but a manageable loss.
    That police came quickly to get a report and they seemed concerned. They've been given a list and photos and I'm hoping for some good luck at this point.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

I sympathize with you completely. The same thing happened to me 30 years ago when I was scheduled for an early morning architectural job. I had my truck loaded with brand new Norman lighting (4 power packs, 10 lamp heads, lots of accessories), 3 brand new Schneider lenses in a Halliburton case, a new Toyo 4x5, a Gitzo tripod, a case of loaded 4x5 holders, a flash meter and spot meter, and a film loading tent with two 50-sheet boxes of fresh film. I figured it would be safe to park the truck 10 feet from my open bedroom window in my quiet little neighborhood and I slept very soundly all night long. When I discovered that my truck was empty the next morning, I was so incredulous that I drove down to my studio, thinking that I must merely have been absent-minded and forgotten to load the equipment.

Notice that I haven't forgotten the stolen items to this day.

Pity & a big lost!
    I usually leave my 8X10 system in the car because it's really heavy. It seems too dangerous now~
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

I feel your pain. I had a bunch of ULF gear stolen out of my trunk in 1997. Amazingly, I finally retrieved my stolen 7x17 camera a couple of months ago, so don't give up!
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    If it was in your trunk how on earth did they get in? I have my glove compartment trunk release disconnected so if they break into the car they still can't release the trunk.
    exactly what i do. it is amazing that he car makers have not thought about this.....my car has a trunk button next to the steering wheel....what gets me is it works with no keys! dumb dumb dumb! mine is also unplugged.

to the OP. if you get it, and can stomach it, post the video will ya?

good luck.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Sorry for you loss. Makes me think of how many times I have left gear in my vehicle overnight. I guess locks are not a sufficient deterrent. Hope you recover the gear or have it insured.

One additional note, I had my equipment fully insured and was paying a premium of over $1200 per month at the time of the theft. Ironically, the insurance company resisted paying for the loss on the grounds that I was away from my studio and therefore was not using the equipment. They resisted paying for three months, until a good friend of mine bought all new identical equipment and turned around to lease it to me indefinitely at the going rental rates for such equipment. My insurance agent then sent the rental bills to the insurance company and rightfully explained that I had been enroute to a location job and therefore was, by definition, "at work". Thankfully, the insurance company then caved, making it possible for me to buy all of the equipment from my generous friend.