Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Whats your "magic bullet?"

Whats your "magic bullet?"

I think the secret to "magic bullets" is to have more than one. Even better if they are different "calibers". For me, one was standardizing on 110mm Toyo lens boards, and having or making lens-board adapters for my other view cameras. Similarly, the 4x5 adapter back for my 8x10 Tachihara is based on the Toyo adapter and backs, so various things are interchangeable across brand lines and format sizes. These two things, combined with various practices mentioned by others above has made me far more efficient, and allow me to concentrate on making images.

<small>240mm G-Claron on 8x10 Tachihara w/ 4x5 adapter back. Scanned from 4x5 Polaroid. </small>

Jobo 3010 and 3005 Expert drums and the CPP-2 processor.

Ralph: Way to sneak in a picture of a Leica :-)

I'm not one to believe in magic bullets - I've gotten good shots from all sorts of cameras and formats and limitations. But I've been having some back and shoulder problems as of late, and one great help has been camera backpacks. I have an F-64 pack that lets me carry a Wisner 5x7, three lenses (one of which is a honkin' big 300mm Nikkor-W), various holders, and film. I actually was out the other day with back pain, and I found that the way the load sat, it didn't aggravate things at all.

Poetry. If I'm drawing blanks, just sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading something I like will often do the trick.

Beverly Hills, California

It may be my monitor, but where's the Leica? Looks like a magazine of bullets to me.

Leica makes very expensive scopes too.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Speer Gold Dot.

Seriously, its hard and persistent work, and paying attention to have consistent technique. All of my gear is old and used. I don't have the latest and greatest of anything. I look at my results, stop, and figure out what is wrong. All of this takes close attention to detail.

You want a sharp image? Figure out what you are doing. Make up your own camera kata. Find the sweet spot of your lens. Know how your apeture affects the image. With a view camera, find out if you need to adjust your ground glass (Photograph a step wedge made of newspaper glued on stacked cardboard. Works like a charm.)

You want excellent prints? Lots of info there, but nothing makes for running a series of tests. The darkroom is a scientific laboratory. No wind to shake the wildflower, there! Run your tests, and adjust as necessary.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

An 8x10 film holder and the Deardorff. 'nuff said?

On an intangible level, really good light spilling across my son's face.

AZO paper. Thanks MS and PC. The final frontier - a completely analog contact print.

www.cicoli.com