Thread: A hello from Macon GA, and a request for advice.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A hello from Macon GA, and a request for advice.

Hey! My name is Brian and I'm originally from Oglethorpe, GA but now make my home with my wife in Macon, GA. I'm a hobbyist photographer that shoots a mix of digital and film in 35mm and medium format. I've been thinking of making the leap to large format for a couple of years and I may have a project that will finalize that jump.

I have been wanting to do a photography project documenting where I grew up, Macon county. I recently found out that during the Great Depression, the FSA sent photographers (including Dorothea Lange) to Macon county. In the spirit of these great photographers, I'd like to do my project with a large format camera. I have the opportunity to buy a Crown Graphic with a 135mm Optar f/4.7, so I think that will be the camera for the project. The project should take about a year, but it might take longer, and will be shot entirely on Kodak color and black and white film.

I need the advice of folks who know what they're doing. I'm going to be starting a Kickstarter campaign to fund the project that will produce a photo book of my images and stories of the people and places I photograph. Am I crazy for wanting to use a large format camera for this kind of project?

Re: A hello from Macon GA, and a request for advice.

We're all crazy for using LF. Just kidding.

The 135 optar is a tessar lens which should be very timeless in it's images; suitable for any general photos comparable for 1900-1950's.

I wouldn't be inclined to start a Kickstarter to fund a learning project. Perhaps use the LF camera equipment and study the local history for a year before starting the Kickstarter campaign. You'll then know your market better for the book and kickstarter campaign and will be the Brian who know's his stuff and what he wants rather than the Brian who wants funding to do something that hopefully is good enough to make a photo book.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    We're all crazy for using LF. Just kidding.

The 135 optar is a tessar lens which should be very timeless in it's images; suitable for any general photos comparable for 1900-1950's.

I wouldn't be inclined to start a Kickstarter to fund a learning project. Perhaps use the LF camera equipment and study the local history for a year before starting the Kickstarter campaign. You'll then know your market better for the book and kickstarter campaign and will be the Brian who know's his stuff and what he wants rather than the Brian who wants funding to do something that hopefully is good enough to make a photo book.
    You're probably right about that. I do have a lot of planning still to do and I can use that time to get the camera and get familiar with using the format.

If i were you i would shoot Ektar 4x5 film. You can do color and BW scans from the same neg ... you will very much like Kodak Ektar .... It uses T grain technology for color film.... i personally think that it is the best film Kodak has ever made.... Other color films are to contrasty for my taste. I really think Kodak designed this film for the scanner.