Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Searching for a camera with geared adjustments

Re: Searching for a camera with geared adjustments

Have a look at the Toyo VX23-D.
    http://www.toyoview.com/Products/VX23D/23D.html

Big Negs Rock!

Stop motion! Got it. Are you shooting off the ground glass? I have a Sinar P that has much of what you wish for. You can add measuring tapes with witness marks at a relative small expense.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Tin Can

Sarah,

Have a look for a Horseman 4x5 LX or LE, these can be commonly bought in great condition for about 300 Euros, add another 50 Euros or so far a Bag bellows.

If you get really desperate I will sell you my Horseman 4x5 LX outfit as I don't use it anymore but kept it as I would only want it to go to a good home.

Thank you guys for your answers. I have now much more cameras on my list, and I have to inform myself about their capabilities. As far as I see there are two general groups of cameras that might fit for me. On the one hand there are classic 4x5 studio cameras like the Sinar P2 or the Horseman LX, which offer geared movements at a very reasonable price, but lack the precision offered by todays cameras. On the other hand there are modern cameras for digital backs, partly also for rollfilm, which have much finer adjustments but also a much higher pricetag, like the Linhof M679, Toyo VX23 or Rollei X-act. The differences within these two groups aren't that large, I suppose, but between both groups they are relevant?

I'm sorry for my questions, but it is really hard to find information about the precision of geared movements, especially in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Stop motion! Got it. Are you shooting off the ground glass?
    I don't know if I understand you correctly, but I never thought about shooting off the ground glass. My main intention is to combine digital and analog material for the film in different styles, for example two different crops through one lens (thats why I need precise geared shift). The idea is, of course, much more complex, and I know that I will have to build a lot of things by myself (or by friends, who help me a lot! ). Therefore I'm searching for such a camera, as a base to be modified for my needs.

Best wishes
    Sarah

Arca F-metric 6x9 with Orbix..is the best there is...

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Arca F-metric 6x9 with Orbix..is the best there is...
    Next to the M679cs and Techno.

There is no "best there is"

But there are several very good cameras. The best will depend on what works best for the specific user.

How short are the lenses you want to use? The Sinar P will go down to 47mm with still some room for movements, if you use the Wide Angle Bellows 2, and don't use a metering back.

But the dedicated 6x9 cameras are the better choice here, both for support of short focal lengths and for the precision of the movements. Remember, the shorter the lens, the less movement you need for any particular effect, particularly with regard to tilts and swings. That means getting the effect right means making finer adjustments. Many have used geared 4x5 cameras with smaller formats, but they are generally harder to use with the short lenses one might couple to those smaller formats.

The Linhof M679 is an example of a 6x9 view camera with high levels of precision well-suited to very short lenses (shorter than 47mm). The other high-end 6x9 view cameras likewise, though each has their own flavor. Arca made one, for example, as did one or two of the Japanese brands. These are not cheap, because they are still useful for commercial digital studio work, so they are not being dumped on the market the way 4x5 and larger cameras are. So, if you are on a budget and 47mm is short enough, the Sinar P may be a cheaper alternative than others, and it might be good enough, but it won't necessarily be optimal.

Rick "who has used a 47mm lens successfully even on a Sinar F, but it's fiddly" Denney

If I remember, Mentor Atelier (or Studio, it's quite hard to find any reliable information on it; 13x18, DDR-made - not earlier Reflex version) has some movements (front swing?) geared. But it's usually bought rather because of its focal plane shutter than its movements. It's folding but heavy as hell.