Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Great LF book, 'Graphic Graflex Photography' "The Master Book for the Larger Camera"

Re: Great LF book, 'Graphic Graflex Photography' "The Master Book for the Larger Came

For Graphic Graflex Photography buyers, the 4th through 7th editions cover up through the Anniversary model. The 8th through 10th editions includes the side rangefinder Pacemaker series. The 11th edition of 1958 includes the top rangefinder Pacemaker series and the early Super Graphic. It is skimpier than earlier editions. Even if you buy it to cover your late Graphic camera, I recommend getting an earlier edition for the history and for articles by experts like Rudolf Kingslake, Ansel Adams, Laura Gilpin, Bernice Abbot, Barbara Morgan, and others.

Re: Great LF book, 'Graphic Graflex Photography' "The Master Book for the Larger Came

My copy, the eighth edition, bears the signature and location of a previous owner, Jack Matsumoto, staff photographer for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Remember when papers had real staff photographers?

I fully agree that the earlier books are far more informative than recent ones. "Graphic-Graflex Photography", and the U.S.Navy Photography Mate Manual provide most of the information ever needed. The Navy manual includes some work around suggestions for those times when materials are lacking.

My third important old book is actually a series. "The Complete Photographer" was published as a series "thrice monthly". It was available only by subscription because paper for publishing during WWII was limited to sold copies in order to prevent waste of unsold magazines.
    Articles were written by the important photographers of the time. I just happened to pull out issue #33 which lists on the cover:"Infra-red Photography with Flash, Insect Photography, Institutional and Industrial Films, Intensification, Interior lighting for Motion Pictures, Interiors-Home and Professional, and Investigating Documents with Photography."
    Additionally each issue includes several Photogravures. I have treasured my set since I got them as a teenager, It is not unusual for me to pull out an issue and re-read an article, some of which were spread over 2-3 issues.
    I need to stop now and re-read the article on Interiors.

Jim

1993 version of U.S.Navy Photography Mate Manual is here in PDF

Thought it would be all film, but on page 25 they discuss 'floppy discs' without much detail how they used them. This on page 31, 'Kodak DCS 200 Digital camera is 1.54 million pixels'.

They also have pinhole section where they suggest that 4 pinholes with prisms focusing on one area would give a much brighter image. Secret spy camera?

Lots more for me to read, but I do want to find a WWII version.
    Tin Can