Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurman, Newcastle upon Tyne - 15x15" Studio Camera

Re: Hurman, Newcastle upon Tyne - 15x15" Studio Camera

And some photos of holder type.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails illuststudioholders 004.jpg   illuststudioholders 005.jpg   illuststudioholders 006.jpg  

Reported the spam - nevermind, it was gone by the time I posted that I'd reported it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Here are a few disorganised photos of a couple of details, in this and the next post, of some of my European (1895-1914) studio camera, an illustration of a camera which has push -down holders only and shown with a door back and a couple of examples of plate holders showing the vert/horiz system as well as a (double) plate holder that has the top bridge.
    Excellent, thank you for taking the time to post those photos, it all makes sense now. Very interesting to see the landscape/portrait orientation as well. I'd like very much to sell the 15x12 plate holder, but not until I've sourced (or made) something similar to what you have posted! Can't say I've ever seen one for sale before, long shot but do you have any spares you'd part with?!

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    The lens is missing its rear group. If it's usable as-is, get on with making pictures, but there are a couple of things you can try.

First, turn it round. Most simple lenses work best with the aperture in front of the lens, especially if you are intending to stop down (for wetplate, maybe not though). Play around and see which orientation works best. You may be able to screw the front group into the rear of the barrel, or you may have to reverse the whole lens.

Prices for fast vintage lenses have gone through the roof in recent years, so unless you luck into another attic find locally the chances of getting a long-focus Petzval at a good price are slim. Rapid Rectilinears are cheaper though, and although they won't give you the fastest apertures for wetplate work, they do the job and are very sharp when used properly.

12x15 has an image circle of around 500 mm, so you can just divide focal lengths by 10 to get the 35mm equivalent. A quick browse of eBay shows that you are just into the territory where almost any lens is expensive, especially wide angles. Exceptions which I have lucked into are the old 360 mm Symmars, which in barrel mount can be a little as £100 or so and which work well as mild wide angles, and various process lenses such as the Wray lustrars.

Bear in mind that the large format means that you will have significant extension when photographing portraits, and that a normal lens can have a look which is longer than its focal length equivalent would suggest.

I'll take some pics of my camera and holders once I'm at leisure again. The holders look very similar to the one you have. Gorgeous woodworking, with a tambour section to allow you to fold the darkslide out of the way once pulled.

I asked about the smaller camera because one option you have would be to mount its rear standard or back assembly onto a simple sheet of plywood, slot it into your camera and use 8x10 or smaller film for testing, or if you want to try wetplate at less extreme sizes. Most studios had reducing backs, if only for banging out cartes de visit.

Have you considered the Harmann direct positive paper for testing? Less expensive and fussy than wetplate, but cheaper than film in large sizes.

My impression was that Sunderland and Newcastle had a boom in the early C20th, with commercial shipping still based upon European-built and flagged vessels but many freighters still using coal. Perhaps it was a tad earlier. My great grandfather had a window cleaning business, starting with men on bikes with buckets and rags, and then, after the Factories Act stipulated light levels in workplaces had to be above Dickensian levels, expanding into industrial cleaning. Where's there's muck etc :-) In an age with few other mechanical distractions, portrait photos reached a surprisingly large section of the populace, even among the working classes. Early filmmakers used to move from town to town setting up temporary cinemas, and the first thing they would do would be to shoot and develop a film of the local factories or docks at shift change time - seeing themselves on the screen was a major draw for the rest of the programme. I think Bradford has extensive collections of these kinds of films - although most of them were fairly ephemeral.

Anyway, good luck with getting the beast working.
    Thanks you again Struan, I'll give the reversing of the lens a try. I think the threads are the same either end so it'll likely swap over easily enough. And very much appreciate the other lens tips you have posted. I picked up a WWII Ross or Wray (I think) aerial photography lens a few years back, and it's sat unused at the back of a cupboard since then. I recall it's something like 24" although not particularly fast (maybe 5.6 or thereabouts) but in terms of size it may be worth a try.

I think ultimately I'll be shooting Wetplate alone with this, although I had looked into both the Ilford ULF order recently, as well as the Harman positive paper - which of course is a lot more reasonably priced especially at this sort of size.

As for Sunderland, as you rightly point out, mainstream portraiture for the masses had well and truly arrived. I'd love to see some of those shift changing films which you mention, I think I've seen a few (Pathe?) clips from the 50s of all the workers streaming out of Doxford's after work, incredible scenes. And very much enjoyed hearing of your great grandfather's story. Do you mind me asking what his name was?

Look forward to seeing the pictures of your camera too once you're settled back.