Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replaced the Motor in my Jobo CPE2! Oh Yeah!

Replaced the Motor in my Jobo CPE2! Oh Yeah!

So - the not so feisty motor in my CPE2 finally burnt out. Like they all do.

I looked for a replacement - it sort of exists but is 280 Euro.

So at that point I ripped it apart and started looking for a way to get it to go again. There's not that much inside there and I think you just need to keep well away from the heater stuff and the larger connectors that are clearly carrying proper voltages. For safety's sake please be careful. The circuit board is carrying both 240v (in Oz) and 12/24v. If you touch the wrong thing it's going to tickle.

I finally found a touque-i-er 12-24v DC motor that turns at 60rpm @ 24v that would fit. In fact it is tiny compared to the original.
    I decided to put a variable speed control unti on it and ditch the old reversing action which I have never seen as necessary anyway (all it does is put more load on the under-powered motor). The new motor has nearly twice the torque. I can load up the drum with 1200ml of water and it barely slows at all! It's a little noisier - but so what!

After a lot of cursing and hacking at stuff I have a working Jobo again!

Biggest issue was the shaft length on the new motor - I needed to put a joiner on and cut down the old shaft. That and not knowing anything about electrics of course. I just used a multimeter to find a + and - 12v supply and wired up my speed controller (this I have screwed to the outside of the case).

Anyway - absolutely stoked not to have to fork out for CPP3 and $1000 shipping to Oz.

If anyone is keen on details on the motor and so on - let me know. I might pull the thing apart again and make some pictures to help others tackle this stuff!

Re: Replaced the Motor in my Jobo CPE2! Oh Yeah!

Photos - please ??? Sounds like a great fix, cant wait to see!

Also - who quoted you 1000$ shipping to OZ for the CPP3? (thats just not the case....)

While reversing action isn't necessary with expert film drums, it IS for 1500 and 2500 series drums so.....

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    While reversing action isn't necessary with expert film drums, it IS for 1500 and 2500 series drums so.....
    Well I can say that disabling reversing made catagorically no difference to my E6 processing in 2500 drums Vinny. None. At. All.
    Black and white may make a difference. But I normally do that by hand agitation anyway.

My Jobo CPE-2 only runs clockwise and I have seen no problems in black and white, E6 and C41 using 1500 series tanks. Maybe I have just been lucky? For BW I use ID11 and HC110.

I agree 100% with Vinny

Road Ruts will be in your future with certain processes, I believe the reverse action is critical .

Yes, would love to see some photos and a source for buying the motor.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

+1 please!

Congratulations~
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I agree 100% with Vinny

Road Ruts will be in your future with certain processes, I believe the reverse action is critical .
    With which processes exactly?
    At the end of the day, given my limited choices, I am more than happy to take the chance and to put faith in the evidence in front of me as opposed to a "belief".
    Now - if it transpires that my E6 transparencies are streaked or otherwise less than acceptable quality - well I'll be the first to admit that I need to make the drum reverse. And I will make it happen!