Thread: Gossen Starlite 2 as spot meter

Gossen Starlite 2 as spot meter

Is this meter a sensible choice when my main intention is to use it mostly as a spot meter? I understand its viewfinder doesn't show any walues, correct?

Thanks.

Re: Gossen Starlite 2 as spot meter

Nobody using Starlie 2 as a spot meter? I would prefer a dedicated spotmeter but no one is making them anymore, so I'm left with one of the 'wundermeters' from either Gossen or Sekonic.

Vanannan

I have a Starlite 1 which I use for spot metering, there is no display in the finder just 2 brightline circles which indicate the 1 degree and 5 degree fields (the actual field of view being selected by a ring around the diffuser) the readout information is displayed on a LCD panel on the side.

I have attached link to a PDF of the manual for the Starlite 2.

I have found the Starlite 1 to be very accurate in all modes.

I still prefer my Pentax V analogue meter for just spot metering.

http://www.gossen-photo.de/pdf/ba_starlite2_en.pdf

No, no in-finder display. If you feel you really need that in a combined incident/spot meter, get a L-758 (or KFM-2100). But be aware that the in-finder LCD on these can only display a small subset of the information on the face LCD, pretty much the same any eighties vintage LCD panel spotmeter could show - if you need nothing beyond what an old spotmeter can do, you might as well buy a used one, saving some money besides having a dedicated tool where you don't always have to check which mode it is in when you pull it from the bag.

As far as multi-purpose meters go, the Gossen is less cluttered than the others - a more handy and accessible design and layout if you use it for basic tasks, but some of the more odd and complex features are less easily accessible and have a more cryptic display than on the Sekonic and Kenko.

Thank you Tony and Sevo, that's exactly what I wanted to know.