Thread: Horseman Direct Veiw Bino Reflex

Horseman Direct Veiw Bino Reflex

Hi All, I'm am aware of the folding model that horseman offers but I'm interested in the "Direct Viewer" do to the 45 degree angle and limited compositioning. (I'm verticaly challanged and hate standing on my tip toes) I'm using an Ebony SVTE and was hoping some one out there has used this device.

I can make a suggestion re: the folding model, which I use. I frequently position the camera high on the tripod, making it impossible to see into the viewer in the normal way (in fact, at this height, often the GG could not be viewed directly even without a Horseman viewer attached). I simply reverse the folding viewer's "mask", then invert the entire viewer to mount its bottom edge on the camera where the top edge would normally be. Envision a periscope, with the mask's nose "socket" once again correctly oriented to peer UP and into the viewer. It works wonderfully, and takes only a minute to reverse in this way. The viewer's weight does want to cause the film back to sag; my solution is simply to keep it pressed tightly against the camera while I focus. I'm using it with an Ebony SV45U2.

Regards, Danny www.dannyburk.com
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

Thanks Danny, I read a couple threads describing the same operation. Hearing it from a regular user like yourself has swayed me towards purchasing the folding unit. I'm a big fan of your work and it is always a source of inspiration for me as I am a midwesterner also. Thank you

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the kind remarks. Glad I could help! Let me know if you need any other assistance with the viewer (or otherwise).

Regards, Danny
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

I have been informed by Jeff (Badgergraphics) that Horseman do not make the reflex bino viewer anymore. Apparently they also do not have any left.

I use both and they work remarkably well. But I far prefer the direct folding bino. A shame that you can't use the hinged frame on Ebony for this is very handy to fine focus with a loupe. I am concerned by Mr Chong's remark and hope my device won't need replacement!

Paul, I'm aware of the problem with the hinge use feature not being applicable on the Ebony, I can't beleive there isn't some one out there that can make this application work? It looks so conveinent.