Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong? Speed Graphic Lens Question

What am I doing wrong? Speed Graphic Lens Question

So, I got tired of my 135/f4.7 Optar and went out and got a 135/3.5 Schneider. Put it on the board and now the rangefinder is way off. The shutter is flush against the lensboard (same as the Optar), but the focus is off quite a bit. Ideas?

W.

The focussing cam was/is speciially calibrated for the original lens, Not all lenses of the same focal length have the same flange focal length - the distance from the mounting flange to the film plane. The cam will only work with the original lens. Why not use the ground glass?

steve simmons www.viewcamera.com

I like using the SG as my "point and shoot" for 4x5 polaroids. How hard is it to re-cam(????) the rangefinder??

William

William,

Fred Lustig of Reno is the Graphic Guru who can work all sorts of wonders with Speeders. Unfortunately the last I heard he was ill. You can get his tel# from the www.graflex.org site. I'm sure there must be others who might be able to help. You could give Midwest Photo a call---they've got lots of Graphic expertise. Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If the rangefinder is a Kalart, instructions for calibrating it are at graflex.org as well.

You don't say which Speed Graphic you have. The Speeds with top rangefinder have the cam the others have written of. The side rangefinder (Kalart) models are adjustable. A manual for that is online at www.graflex.org.

Do you have a side-rangefinder, or a top-rangefinder? If the former, then you don't have cams, and can easily adjust your rangefinder yourself. If a top rangefinder, then good luck! There may not have been cams for that lens.

These subjects are discussed in more detail on Graflex.org
    Alec

It's a top rangefinder, with a cam for a 135mm lens on it. The camera came with a 135mm optar. I switched the lens to a 135mm Schneider and now the rangefinder focus is off.

Have you set the infinity stops?

Yes try resetting the infinity stops first.

Put your camera on a tripod and lock it tight. Use the rangefinder to focus on infinity. then lock the rail at that position. Check your focus on the groundglass. If it is out of focus, slide the front standard on the rail (without moving the rail) until you rach sharp focus. Be careful that when you lock the front into position, it doesnt move out of focus. Finally you can move the infinity stops into the new position.

Then try using the rangefinder on closer objects and check the focus on the ground glass.

If you are handy, you might be able to make a new rangefinder cam.