Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recessed Board Needed Wtih 80mm Lens on Technika Camera?

Recessed Board Needed Wtih 80mm Lens on Technika Camera?

Does anyone here use an 80mm lens (mine is a Super Symmar XL if that matters) on a Technika 4x5 camera (IV, V, or Classic Master)? If so, have you found it necessary to use a recessed lens board? I've been playing around with my lens on a Classic Master and it seems like it will work fine with a flat board and the top rail pushed all the way to the back of the camera. However, I remember Bob Salomon saying here that a recessed board should always be used with a 90mm or shorter lens on Technikas. I used a flat board with a 90mm lens on my former Technika V and it worked fine but I thought maybe the advice was valid with an 80mm lens. If you use a recessed board, do you also have to use the special angled cable release and if so, where do you get them and what do they cost?

My normal practice is to spend the money first and ask questions later but I just looked at the cost of recessed lens boards, even the generic ones much less the Linhof ones, and thought asking first might be advisable in this instance.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Not a Technika owner, but just put it on the camera. If it focus to infinity you are ok, unless you need coverage too. My guess is the bellows will be compressed too much for movement and the cures are off center hole, bag bellows, recessed board, sell lens, new camera.

Extend the lens 1 inch from infinity and check the amount of movement you can get. That will be approximately the amount you will gain with a recessed board.

The Linhof 001016 lensboard has a 16mm recess. This is the board for all 90 and 72/75mm lenses in 0 shutter. The board for a 45/47mm on a TK is a 21mm recess.

There is no 1" recessed Technika board.

I recently ordered a super symmar 80XL for my master technika 2000 - had it two days after here in Switzerland, thanks to robertwhite.co.uk, and its excellent service. Now, one of the advantages of a recessed lensboard (10016) seems to me that you can leave the lens mounted while closing the box - but just so. It is, for instance, not a good idea to have infinity stops on the rail in the wrong place: try to close the front lid, and they will touch the front rim of the lens if installed at or near its maximum circumference. The SS 80 XL thus makes for an excellent modern wide angle lens suitable for the backpacker, interested in a quick and hassle-free setup of a technika camera. (Just don't forget to use it with a few millimeters of front rise - or else the front end of the rail will show at the bottom of a normal 4X5 frame)

Hi Peter

Thats why Horseman FA, HD, HF and Linhofs Technikas can trop the bed and then you go back to vertikal position with the lensboard! Bist Du zufrieden mit der Master Technika? Sollte ich nähmlich mal wirklich zu viel Geld auf der hohlen Kante haben dann möchte ich mir die Master Technika auch noch zulegen!

Seeholzer

The language used in this forum is not other than english. Use private e-mails to post private messages and other languages.

Beverly Hills, California

And I honestly bet Sergio speaks at least 3 languages. Go figure.

Hell, I write in only English here because that's all they required in this North American country, but soon there will be Espanol too.

Actually:

Privyet Segio, Kak Dela? Sto Dylet? Poka!

con un nombre como "sergio caetano" se atreve dicir semejante cosa...

how do you translate "sergio caetano" into english?

hi brian

i use this lens on a master tech with a recesed board and as mentioned before folds into the box. i got the linhof board used so it didn't sting too much, the only quirk with the linhof is the built in bespoke cable release connector, requiring a special adaptor for your cable release. gepe make a smart recesed board cable extension, hp marketing import them.

more info

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/496994.html

My various spouses have suggested that we all speak in "photography" irrespective of our actual language. At least they never understood my conversations with other photographers...