Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

Question: if you were offered an option to buy a 4x5 (or 8x10) scanning digital back, that works 4 times faster than its analogues, scans with 4800dpi (almost half a billion pixels on 4x5!), provides you with the large touch screen, works autonomously without a computer, what would be the price you agree to pay for that?

When thinking about that, consider that you do not process the film (color one!) anymore, do not scan it, do not get back from a shoot that 12 hours driving from home and realize that the lab damaged your film, etc.

Re: Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

Consider a hard drive crash.......
    R u selling this?
    $150

You gonna give me 20+ stops of dynamic range too? And the image area is same as 5x4 film? Hmmm...

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    R u selling this?
    $150
    i'd say you'd be more likely to accidentally open a box of exposed film (have been shooting with a Betterlight since 2001.. not a single hard drive error, or hardware issue with the unit during that time.). Also , you're going to have the exposed shot on the drive inside of the control unit, and on the one in your computer. It doesn't have 20+ stops, but well exceeds the dynamic range of Chrome, and is pretty close to color negative. It's not the be-all tool.. but it does have uses.

I'm not sure I'd give up my Betterlight for the features you propose. A scanning back has a pretty narrow market. The model I use is a known quantity.. Excellent engineering, customer support..
    Now, if you were offering an insert, with a sensor the size of the film (4x5, 8x10), w the same capture features of the medium format backs, and were able to offer it < $10K.. i'd probably think about that.

R u selling this?
    $150
    I am not selling, I am trying to understand if someone offers this, how much would be a demand.
    In other words, does it make any sense to start a business in this area or not?

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderfedin View Post
    I am not selling, I am trying to understand if someone offers this, how much would be a demand.
    In other words, does it make any sense to start a business in this area or not?
    Jim, I wasn't referring to the unit's hard drive crashing. I've had two die on me in less than 5 years.
    you'd be better of starting a snow plowing biz in southern california

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    I'm not sure I'd give up my Betterlight for the features you propose. A scanning back has a pretty narrow market. The model I use is a known quantity.. Excellent engineering, customer support..
    Now, if you were offering an insert, with a sensor the size of the film (4x5, 8x10), w the same capture features of the medium format backs, and were able to offer it < $10K.. i'd probably think about that.
    Say, if it will take 40 seconds to capture 4x5" with 4800 dpi (1/2 gigapixels) with the shutter speed of 1/16, will have a built-in touch screen to set up shooting parameters and possible crop, and cost < $3K ?

Jim, I wasn't referring to the unit's hard drive crashing. I've had two die on me in less than 5 years.
    you'd be better of starting a snow plowing biz in southern california
    Do you store your film in a Swiss Bank safe, so you worry that much about hard drives?
    There are backup services offered for a relatively low price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    Yea a scanning back would definitely not have the appeal that a back that functions like normal camera does. Ether a large sensor or a sensor array. Something like this but not as big.
    http://petapixel.com/2013/06/24/this...weighs-3-tons/
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams