Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats everybody doing with Photoshop?

Re: Whats everybody doing with Photoshop?

I plan on sticking with CS6 for the foreseeable future. I got by fine with CS3 until I finally broke down and got 6, so 6 should last me a long time. Maybe someone will come up with a viable alternative or I will give Elements a try down the road. I will worry about it down the road.

Well as I make my living partially with PS this is not a joke for me. And no, beyond the odd personal project that has commercial appeal, its not possible to run a busy AP commercial business with analogue. Fortunately I get it for free from one of the institutions I teach at but I won't have that forever. If I didn't I would have to pay monthly for it. Every iteration of PS has some new tool or upgraded tool that makes me more productive and that means saved time which means better profits or higher quality or X.

Unfortunately this move to subscriptions means Adobe now has no need for regular upgrades to generate cash as they have us literally by the balls. I will support every serious attempt to build a competitor. That is what the market needs most. Serious competition.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'd definitely be interested in a competitive alternative - if it was about as good as PS 5.5 or maybe CS3 (just need the camera plug-ins for modern digi cameras) I could get by just fine. Or it could go the way I went with page layout programs - simply stop upgrading until it just won't work anymore on any machine I own. That business went away about 10 years ago and this one has been ready to slip below the waves for a few years now. We've been enjoying this digital musical chairs ride and now we find ourselves left out of a chair. This is coming to computing in general so go ahead and get used to it. You will soon own nothing that you use to make your living. It'll be like a carpenter who has to rent a hammer. I'm thoroughly disgusted.

Yep it was cracked within 24 hours of its release.

From what I have heard photoshop is the easiest to steal software. It is so easy that you have to wonder if Adobe made it that way so that the people who steal software, would at least use adobe products rather than adobe's competition.

I actually saw someone install CS5 the "free way" before... They downloaded the trial version, modified their hosts file so that PS cant talk to certain adobe servers, then "registered" the software "offline" using a phony serial number... Too easy.

Personally I am using a paid for version of CS5, but would not pay for a subscription software service unless it was $5 or so per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    I don't use Photoshop but I'm informed that a bloke in China has hacked it already.
    Lecarp, that's brilliant!
    Pete

I am amazed by how much people are still complaining about the move to Creative Cloud. Let's say that out of all of the Adobe programs, you only use Photoshop. If you're too cheap to pay $20/month for an incredibly powerful piece of software, that's your problem. Either stick with an older version as long as possible or find another way to do what you need to do (Gimp, anyone?). Nobody is holding anyone hostage, nobody is forcing you to give Adobe your money.

If you're shooting large format, and are actually advocating pirating the software instead of paying less for Photoshop than you spend for frivolous daily expenses (Starbucks, beer, cable TV, etc), you really need to reexamine the nature of this situation. That's less than the cost of 4 sheets of 8x10 b&w film for the most powerful imaging software yet developed.

I'm paying the $50/month for the full CC subscription and I'm thrilled with what I get for it. I actively and regularly use Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Lightroom, and Bridge. I also like that I have access to things like Premiere, Audition, and Dreamweaver whenever I need them, should a project or new idea call for it. I also like that when new versions of something come out, I don't have to debate whether or not to pay for the new version or just try to make do with old versions until I get too fed up to use them any more.

Yeah, I hope Adobe gets some much-needed competition because as Kirk points out, that's what the market is going to require to really evolve from here. But in the mean time I'd rather make my work and exploit the tools at hand than complain about those tools because the company that manages them did something that I don't like. Whining about something like this is a waste of time.

How does multiple users work within a small company, We have four people that need various Adobe products, two are PS and Lightroom users, and two are full suite users.

interesting take on it by Scott Kelby http://scottkelby.com/2013/you-said-...-getting-paid/

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    I am amazed by how much people are still complaining about the move to Creative Cloud. Let's say that out of all of the Adobe programs, you only use Photoshop. If you're too cheap to pay $20/month for an incredibly powerful piece of software, that's your problem. Either stick with an older version as long as possible or find another way to do what you need to do (Gimp, anyone?). Nobody is holding anyone hostage, nobody is forcing you to give Adobe your money.
    In this scenario, the price increase is about 81% if you have upgraded every release. If the price of gas went up 81%, everybody would be yelling and screaming. Why expect anything different with software?

Read the related article here.

Where are you getting your 81%? For me and many others, the long-term cost went down.

That graph assumes a new user that is purchasing a full version (Adobe's marketing people presenting the best case scenario. which is not the most likely scenario). I purchased my full version over 10 years ago. I purchased Photoshop upgrade every 18 months for $200. That's $11.11 per month. $20 per month almost double the price.