Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you get an 8x10 to get a worms-eye view?

Re: How do you get an 8x10 to get a worms-eye view?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I think you are. Please explain further. Remember that the lens sees a cone of rays ...
    Agreed - I was assuming the (standard/base rail mounted) Sinar system mirrors. If a non-system solution is fine, and the lens may be stopped down, a comparatively tiny mirror right in front of the lens could be used, if you find a way to attach it (these seventies 45° mirror "spy lens" angle attachments might for once find a real use there).

Dan,

You are thinking too far ahead of me. I just wanted to get the camera down that low. I did not even consider how I will be focusing. No reflex finder that I know of. No plans to build one either. This mental exercise does not look to be fruitful at this point. A few of the spots that I was considering in this position would not allow me to have acreage to lay down and focus. Straddling the camera and focusing upside down would get old very fast. For now, I will pass those opportunities for a shot in the 8x10 format. The metal plate may still work but i would have to consider if the design is worth hauling around.

Kirk

dig a hole

DrTang,

'dig a hole' -- I do not want the shot that bad. At least not yet.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmacatangay View Post
    Dan,

You are thinking too far ahead of me.
    Nope, I've done the exercise. On rocky ground. That's why I came up with the mirror solution.

It may be difficult, or uncomfortable framing, but there is no reason it should not be rock solid and steady. At least mine have always been so.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmacatangay View Post
    DrTang,

'dig a hole' -- I do not want the shot that bad. At least not yet.

Kirk
    hang it upside down and dig or clear a shallow area..8" deep if it's loose rock should do

A wooden plywood / MDF etc panel with three leveling screw feet and a camera attach thread at the center would do just fine.
    Optical tooling folks use these type of 'instrument stands'. For scale those are 3.5 in - 8 mount hread on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trivet 198-1x350.jpg   Tripod short 5035x250.jpg  

You can fold a Ries's legs out a full 90 degrees. Without using a tripod head you can get an 8x10 camera right above the ground.

If you want lower put a piece of cardboard, plastic, wood, etc. on the ground and put your camera on that.

I have used the sandbag technique many times, particularly with movie cameras. If you don't fill them up too much they can create a very stable cradle. My wife makes buckwheat hull pillows, which are also very stable without the weight of sand. You can also bolt a plywood plate to the bottom of the camera and stabilize that with rocks/sandbags/whatever. I just bought a Kodak Ektanon lens with 90 degree prism assembly from an old photostat (Haloid) machine. It occurred to me that it would work well in an application like this, and the C1 is stable enough to mount it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haloid_lens_prism.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	97798