Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Stateside Linhof Pricing

Re: Stateside Linhof Pricing

It's also not by any means an issue exclusive to Linhof. Mamiya and Toyo products, which sell in higher volumes than Linhof, also used to be much cheaper in Europe, despite being manufactured in Asia, and MAC used to defend aggressively against unauthorized imports. I don't know if that's still the case. Even Canon and Nikon have a vigorous grey market, though the difference in markup is smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That might be due to certain national policies related to software liability. In some countries, the standard disclaimer regarding damage to a customer's profitability due to bugs does not apply, so the maker passes the expense to the customer.
    I doubt it. We had a Federal Parliamentary inquiry into it a few months back. Adobe basically said they saw Australians as being able & willing to pay more and charged accordingly. Adobe then backed off the Australian CC pricing a little, but not for standalone versions. Apple's response was similar I believe.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    It's also not by any means an issue exclusive to Linhof. Mamiya and Toyo products, which sell in higher volumes than Linhof, also used to be much cheaper in Europe, despite being manufactured in Asia, and MAC used to defend aggressively against unauthorized imports. I don't know if that's still the case. Even Canon and Nikon have a vigorous grey market, though the difference in markup is smaller.
    MAC has actually owned the Mamiya trademark for a long while now, since Mamiya Japan had a near-death experience something like 30 years ago. For years MAC defended the trademark vigorously, threatening to have unauthorized imports seized in customs, if you dared present them for service, whatever. All of that has vanished from the current Mamiya Leaf website; I don't know whether that's because they've mellowed, because their promotional emphasis is now entirely on digital under the Phase One umbrella, or just because sales of their remaining analog equipment are so vanishingly small that there's hardly anything left to defend.

Nikon USA still refuses to service gray equipment - not even if you are willing to pay for it. I don't know about Canon.

As you can't buy directly from Linhof, I recommend getting in contact with Linhof Studio in Britain. After having bought many items locally in Germany, I found them to be of superior service and pricing.

Unbelievable, but I know it's true and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by jonreid View Post
    Tin Can

We have listened to this discussion and today have posted direct prices for some Linhof cameras and lenses including the TK 45S, the Kardan 45re, The Master Technika Classic and the Master Technika 3000 and the Technorama 617 SIII camera and lenses and finders.
    All are brand new with 5 year warranty in the USA! They can be seen at the Linhof Factory Store at www.hpmarketingcorp.com.
    There are also similar savings on Wista cameras and Rodenstock lenses and Berlebach tripods.

See, sometimes comments posted here do make a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by jonreid View Post
    I doubt it. We had a Federal Parliamentary inquiry into it a few months back. Adobe basically said they saw Australians as being able & willing to pay more and charged accordingly. Adobe then backed off the Australian CC pricing a little, but not for standalone versions. Apple's response was similar I believe.

Jon
    Jon, I was thinking of Germany and Austria which have different Haftung (liability) laws.

Bob:

To avoid confusion, you are referring to this list, correct?
    http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.ph...o0mtt2kql8fei7

There is a different list on the Linhof home page dated
    February 1, 2013 http://www.linhof.de/download_e/linhof_price_13.pdf with prices in Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Bob:

To avoid confusion, you are referring to this list, correct?
    http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.ph...o0mtt2kql8fei7

There is a different list on the Linhof home page dated
    February 1, 2013 http://www.linhof.de/download_e/linhof_price_13.pdf with prices in Euro.
    Correct. www.hpmarketingcorp.com