Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I fret about shooting in the French Quarter?

Name: ______William Booth

Should I fret about shooting in the French Quarter?

I will be in New Orleans for a week. I've been a couple of times before, so I know the lay of the land, but I am somewhat timid about the prospect of shooting the 5x7 in the French Quarter because I'll be using a somewhat massive, very much gleaming, brass lens. I do have an assistant (fianceé), but she is slight. I'm a little concerned about time spent under the dark cloth. Needless to say, I will not be shooting in any location that gives me bad vibes, but should I be concerned? Any advice?

Re: Should I fret about shooting in the French Quarter?

Sorry if that came across as paranoid, but I am on an extremely tight budget, and any loss would be a large setback for me.

I toted a Speed Graphic with a Petzval all over the French Quarter and had no problems or even uncomfortable moments. The French Quarter seemed very safe to me during the day, but I'd exercise some big city caution during the evenings.

The French Quarter has had a bad reputaion, mostly from having lots of bars staying open late, lots of drinking in the streets, which can be a bad combination. But, I have met some of the greatest folks there, had a great time, even late at night (I love the blues). I definitely would not worry during the daytime. I was on a business trip with someone who lived near NO for years, and he warned me to be cautious late at night. It is one of the more memorable cities I have visited, and wish to go back to soon.

Wayne

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

During the day, particularly in the mornings your biggest threat will be water damage. They hose down the sidewalks to flush the puke into the street. At night the biggest threat will likely be some staggering drunk kicking over your tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    During the day, particularly in the mornings your biggest threat will be water damage. They hose down the sidewalks to flush the puke into the street. At night the biggest threat will likely be some staggering drunk kicking over your tripod.
    Haha, well that makes me feel better. I think I was just getting cold feet on packing night. Thanks for talking me into it, guys.

To address Wayne and Barry, I've had nothing but positive experiences in New Orleans, but I've also never carried my equipment into a potentially threatening situation either.

Thanks all!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

p.s. When some toothless yokel approaches you and says, "I'll bet you a dollar you can't tell me where I got these shoes at."... the answer is NOT Walmart, but "right there on your feet".

Quote Originally Posted by fecaleagle View Post
    I will be in New Orleans for a week. I've been a couple of times before, so I know the lay of the land, but I am somewhat timid about the prospect of shooting the 5x7 in the French Quarter because I'll be using a somewhat massive, very much gleaming, brass lens. I do have an assistant (fianceé), but she is slight. I'm a little concerned about time spent under the dark cloth. Needless to say, I will not be shooting in any location that gives me bad vibes, but should I be concerned? Any advice?
    Put black tape on the lens. Drunks and idiots in general are like magpies - attracted to shiny things. Give your fincee a big potato masher flash to pop in the eyes of anyone who steps over the line.

If you use a bit of common sense I bet you'll have a great time!

Edit - The only part of the French 1/4 that will be problematic is the Bourbon St area, the rest is fine.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. When some toothless yokel approaches you and says, "I'll bet you a dollar you can't tell me where I got these shoes at."... the answer is NOT Walmart, but "right there on your feet".
    You only pay that dollar once, and I paid up at around 18 years of age.

I lived in NOLA for a couple years and it's one of the most photogenic cities in country IMO. I think the advice you've already got here is pretty good, but I'll reiterate some and add a little:

If you're thinking of LF in the actual French Quarter, I would suggest early morning. Like between 5:30am and 7 or so - before 5am, or still dark thirty, is about the most dangerous time to be walking about the city and is when most of the muggings and worse happens. And that's without having a big 'ol attention getting camera!

Also, and this might just be me, I'm of the mind that about 90% of photography in the French Quarter or thereabouts would best be done (at any hour) with a Leica M6 and a 50 'Cron, or, if you're not doing 35mm film anymore, the digital equivalent of said street shootin' rig, like a Fuji X100 or something. LF in the Quarters would probably only be practical to attempt in the early morning hours, as mentioned.

If I were doing Large Format in New Orleans, I'd be spending all my time up on St. Charles Ave. in the Garden District, Audubon Park, etc.. There is Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, which is beautiful, quiet and ideally suited for photography, there's the street cars, the magnolias, the mansions, and all kinds of New Orleans architecture up on the revitalized Magazine Ave areas, which to me has more to offer than the French Quarter anymore.

Metarie also has some nice areas that might be worth a visit too, but as always in the Big Easy, you gotta watch where you're going and what's around you. There are probably more areas in NOLA that are dangerous for 'tourists' than not and you can go from million dollar mansions to gang ridden projects in two blocks in this city. Be aware. I love New Orleans and it's a magical place. In fact, after writing about it and thinking about it here in this post, I'm hankering to make the trip down there myself and probably will be next on my photo road trip list!